"Te Waihou Walkway" Waihou by kiwi
Waihou Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 11 photos
The picturesque Waihou River is most beautiful at it's source, not near Waihou town, but closer to the town of Putaruru.
Apparently at the main Blue Spring, the water comes from the ground at a rate of 42 cubic metres per minute (9240 gallons per minute). They say it takes from 50 - 100 years for the water to get to the spring from the Mamaku Plateau! I have no idea what it does along the way :-)
I have read that 67% of New Zealand's bottled water comes from this spring.
A public walkway, approx 5 kilometers long, has been developed with a local programme developing restoration and regeneration of wetland and native plantings. Normal time is 1.5 hours oneway, average walking speed.
Accessible from State Hwy 28 (White's Road) between Tauranga and Putaruru.
If you only have short time, the most beautiful area is at the Leslie Road end, so park your car there. Walk to the Loop track and return to Leslie Rd.
I have made some tips about the town of Waihou as well.
The Track is mostly flat walking with one area of steps through the gorge. Regular walking shoes are adequate although in wet conditions your feet with likely get damp.
The Walkway is open year-round.
I read that the wonderful clarity and blue colour of the water is because of it's high optical purity. Essentially the water seems so intensely blue because it absorbs the red light. This leaves the blue and green light visible. The water temperature remains a constant 11 degs Celsius most of the time.
Pure natural water such as this, has very little particles and absorbing constituents. Therefore the light is not dispersed nor absorbed as much as most rivers. These particles are cleansed from the water as it spends all those years underground, filtering through to the surface eventually.
- Pros:The native bush and the gorgeous blue blue water.
- Cons:The fish are so hard to hook, and I ran out of film!!
- In a nutshell:The Waihou River has beauty never seen before.
Please respect the private property and that this is an operational farm. Keep to the track. It is also advisable to... more travel advice
TeWaihou Walkway. This river is entirely Spring fed, and because of the purity of the water, it appears incredibly blue.... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Waihou Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Waihou
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Waihou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waihou
Photos in WaihouSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 34 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 114 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues