"Wairere Falls" Wairere Falls by kiwi

Wairere Falls Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 30 photos

Kaimai Range beauty.

Driving south on Hwy 27 you have probably seen Wairere Falls a million times over on the horizon. You may have even wondered, what it's name is and can you get there.
So here are all the answers, and the nearest town is Matamata. Why not come down one weekend and check it out!
Nestled in the lovely North Island bush, the walk to the base of the Wairere Falls is well worth the effort.

Typical view of the Wairere Falls

The Wairere Falls are sited on the Kaimai Range, and easily visible from Hwy 27 heading south. Look towards the East and you can usually see them very easily.

VTers make the trek to the falls.

Got together with some VT friends and we walked up to the falls. Here I am with allikat (Allison) and kiwitrekker (Jeff & Sally). We went with more friends but had this special VT photo taken.

• Pros:Lovely bush, nice walk to beautiful Falls.
  • Cons:Steep staircase, can be quite wet up there.
  • In a nutshell:Relatively short easy walk to the Falls.
  • Last visit to Wairere Falls: Oct 2012
  • Intro Updated Nov 7, 2012

• Jul 27, 2007 at 11:36 AM

some great photos there kiwi. i stayed in the kiamia's earlier this year but never made it to the falls, will definetly have to go there next time.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 10:42 PM

Wow! The falls are certainly much stronger than when I saw them! Watch your step!

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2005 at 9:05 PM

Hi Pam, I just got my falls pics (and video footage) that I took on the weekend in Wells Gray Park in B.C....it's got no fewer than 7 spectacular cascades, culminating in 475' high Helmcken Falls which plunges into a volcanic gorge.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2005 at 4:57 AM

Never heard of the place. I can add that to my list of about 1,000 on VT! Very interesting and informative.

• novsco61's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2005 at 12:20 AM

Great pictures .But I do suffer from vertigo. What a shame. Thanks for the info.

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2005 at 3:25 AM

Splendid waterfalls Pam dear ;-D

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2005 at 1:29 PM

A very lovely account of a special walk with VT friends to Wairere Falls. After reading and viewing your photographs, I see why you would want to go. Excellent travelogues.

• Jan 23, 2005 at 11:48 PM

Pam, don't you have a photo from the top??? ;-)

• beret's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2005 at 6:50 AM

It's been a while since I perused NZ pages. Hiking the falls gorge looks like a great trip.

• asturnut's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2005 at 1:08 AM

Beautiful place! Great tips. I fancied I would visit this place until I saw your tip about vertigo. I would NOT have made the trek up those stairs. Thanks!

kiwi Visits Here Frequently!

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Badges & Stats in Wairere Falls

Have you been to Wairere Falls?