"QUEENSTOWN - One of The Leading Mountain resorts" Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown by kiwi

Queenstown Travel Guide: 650 reviews and 1,734 photos

Paradise in the South.

Queenstown is a funloving adventure sodden town set in very beautiful mountains and scenery. Bungy Jumping, Jet boat river riding, Whitewater rafting, Parapenting, skydiving, flying, skiing, climbing, hiking and so many activities to keep you occupied here for a funfilled visit.
Here is a great webpage for looking up the various activities in Queenstown: www.queenstownnz.co.nz.

One of the World's Leading Mountain resorts of the world for the Endless Winter

Lake Wakatipu is the third largest lake in New Zealand. One interesting feature of this glacial lake, is it's unusual tide-like change in water level. The steep sides to the lake creat this effect, of around 12 cm rise and fall every 5 minutes. Quite unique!

You could say Queenstown is the Home of Bungy Jumping. The Extreme sport that has it's origins on Pentecost Island, Vanuatu. But later developed into a sport using latex bungy cords instead of vines, AJ Hackett and Henry van Asch began their dream in Auckland, however Queenstown was the site of the first commercial Bungy operation.

Queenstown sans snow

Equally as beautiful without snow, Lake Wakatipu and The Remarkables in behind, looks stunning from up the Skyline Gondola

AND OF COURSE THERE IS THE SKIING!!

Coronet Peak and The Remarkables skifields are great places to visit for superb skiing. Even if you don't ski, it's well worth going up there, sitting in the cafe and taking in the view. On a nice day you are truly 'On Top of the World'!!
Coronet Peak also offers night time skiing on certain occassions, and that is very exhilerating. Even from the lower areas, to look up and see the lights on the snow and lights coming down the mountain is spectacular.

• Pros:Snow, bungy jumps, jet boats, stunning scenery...
  • Cons:Can be cold, lots of tourists.
  • In a nutshell:Fun! Action! Beauty! So much to do here....
  • Last visit to Queenstown: Nov 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 7, 2012

May 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I think you would have to be in good physical shape and a bit crazy to enjoy this town.

May 25, 2013 at 6:59 PM

No, no no. I'm totally unfit, and love it. I sit by the raging fires in the hotel and walk and go up the gondola and take in the gorgeous mountains. In fact I just booked a trip back again. I can't stay away from this place!

May 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM

That makes me feel better.

• CDM7's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Love that lead photo with the snow on the mountains,managed to get a B&B overlooking the lake on our recent visit.An amazing country!

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Queenstown is my fav place!! I need to go down during winter and get a new updated version of that photo, on my digital! Glad you enjoyed it there, it's SO special :-)

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Happy to be your VT Friend Pam, gets me to know more about your Country, very much down under from us in the Northern Hemisphere - will be back regularly ;-)))

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Thanks Ken, Queenstown is an amazing place :-)

• liliana91's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2011 at 2:42 AM

I love this photos...only to see them is fascinating.Been there,is like heaven down on earth

• ChristinaHegele's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2011 at 2:34 PM

What a beautiful page! thank you for posting the pictures of flying into Queenstown, they're amazing! I love Queenstown and its surroundings, it's my favourite place on earth.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Hope we get a chance to go back especially with this new knowledge Marg

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:26 PM

A beautiful area....great tips and pictures. I saw some of this on the show "Departures" where the two fellows did the extreme sports. I think a person needs to be in good shape physically and financially to visit.

• raytor's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I see you were the best person for the job too!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2008 at 3:08 PM

I hope to see some new tips here soon (ish) :~)

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2008 at 12:25 PM

that looks awesome Pam!!!! well believe me, we are considering it!

kiwi Visits Here Frequently!

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Badges & Stats in Queenstown

Have you been to Queenstown?

Latest Activity in Queenstown