"Marine active Volcano" White Island by kiwi
White Island Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 114 photos
If you have some time to spend in the North Island of New Zealand, get down to Whakatane and take the oneday boat trip out to White Island. You can drive to Whakatane from Tauranga in a little over an hour, and about the same from Rotorua. However allow 1 hr 30mins and then you can stop along the way.
The drive from Rotorua is very pretty passing by many lakes through the rolling hills.
Alternatively you can fly by fixed wing or helicopter (if you want to land) from Tauranga or Rotorua, and there are also flights out of Whakatane for those who prefer that form of transport.
White Island is privately owned but allows visitors by Permit Only.
We went with White Island Tours, which is the main company who lands you on the island. They have nice boats and provide a very comprehensive service.
- Pros:Amazing opportunity to visit an active volcano.
- Cons:Dust, sulphur smell, sea journey if you get sick.
- In a nutshell:Only a few places in the world to do this. Thoroughly enjoyable day.
kiwi's Related Pages
White Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Whakaari (White Island)"
- "Marine active Volcano"
- "Active Volcano"
- "Whakaari/White Island"
- "Live Volcano"
- "White Island - walk on an active volcano!"
- "An active volcano in the ocean... Let's hike it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in White Island
- Transportation in White Island
- Shopping in White Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in White Island
- 1 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to White Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in White Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Sadly another VT and VT FB..."
- Commented on the White Island travel guide
- updated a White Island Travel Page "Marine active Volcano"
- Commented on one of vtveen's White Island travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Day Trip to White Island 5"
- Wrote a Review Accessible from the mainland. in White Island Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 87 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 38 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 20 reviews, 119 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues