"Arthur's Pass" Arthur's Pass by kiwi
Arthur's Pass Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 10 photos
Arthur's Pass is primarily the means to access the West Coast of the South Island. It is also the midway point of the well-known TranzAlpine express, train journey. Some people get off here in Arthur's Pass and spend 4 hours tramping the hills, and catch it's return journey back to Christchurch. Of course there is the town of Arhtur's Pass and then there is the actual Pass thru the mountains.
One of the lovely features is the native forest on the surrounding hills.
I have friends who often go here for a getaway break, however accommodation is very limited. Many vehicles, including buses, pass through every day.
Crossing the Waimakariri River, one of the South Islands largest, and heading into the mountains. Arthur's Pass is ahead of us.
When the old road became a real problem with slips, the best solution was to build a viaduct.
- Pros:Native bush, lovely scenery
- Cons:Very cold in winter
- In a nutshell:Part of a lovely 2-3 day circuit out of Christchurch
The Arthur's Pass Store is quite the heartbeat of the town. Near to the postal 'centre' and offering a welcome place to... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Arthur's Pass Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Arthur's Pass
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Arthur's Pass?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arthur's Pass
Photos in Arthur's PassSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 85 reviews, 186 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 38 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 21 reviews, 124 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 46 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues