"A famous Artisan Village of the South of France." Moustiers-Sainte-Marie by kiwi
Moustiers-Sainte-Marie Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 81 photos
Moustiers St Marie is the most beautiful small village situated near the entrance to Grand Canyon du Verdon. The first settlement established here was an abbey founded in the 5th century. Near to Lac de Ste Croix in Haute-Provence. The surrounding cliffs are very dramatic as is the small medieval church high in the rocky cutting. There is a wonderful golden star suspended across this gap by wires and it is magical the way it sparkles in the sunlight. On the site of the original abbey is now the chapel of Notre Dame de Beauvoir, built in the 12th century. Looking very Italian it has a multi-storey bell tower.
The village is famous for it's handmade blue & white faience (earthenware). Some of the small shops selling this crockery, are literally caves in the side of the cliffs!
I love the tile rooves of Provence, and here you can see perfectly from above.
- In a nutshell:Not just terracotta tiles, this village has surprises everywhere.
Be sure to have time to walk up to the church. The stone path is ancient and you climb up above the village, crossing... more travel advice
High above the village and church, suspended by chain across the cutting in the rocks, is a lovely glistening gold star.... more travel advice
kiwi's Related Pages
Moustiers-Sainte-Marie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A famous Artisan Village of the South of France."
- "Beautiful Moustiers in the mountains"
- "Grand Canyon du Verdon"
- "As tourist traps go, this is a nice one"
- "Nice village up the mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moustiers-Sainte-Marie
- Hotels in Moustiers-Sainte-Marie
- Transportation in Moustiers-Sainte-Marie
- Shopping in Moustiers-Sainte-Marie
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Moustiers-Sainte-Marie
- 9 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Moustiers-Sainte-Marie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moustiers-Sainte-Marie
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Travel Map bug"
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Moustiers-Sainte-Marie travel pages
- updated a Moustiers-Sainte-Marie Travel Page "A famous Artisan Village of the South of France."
- Wrote a Review Walk the ancient path up to the church. in Moustiers-Sainte-Marie Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Faïence - Earthenware."
Photos in Moustiers-Sainte-MarieSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 88 reviews, 196 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (311)
Latest Moustiers-Sainte-Marie hotel reviews
- La Bastide De Moustiers Chateaux & Hotels De France
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013