"A famous Artisan Village of the South of France." Moustiers-Sainte-Marie by kiwi

Moustiers-Sainte-Marie Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 81 photos

Moustiers St Marie is the most beautiful small village situated near the entrance to Grand Canyon du Verdon. The first settlement established here was an abbey founded in the 5th century. Near to Lac de Ste Croix in Haute-Provence. The surrounding cliffs are very dramatic as is the small medieval church high in the rocky cutting. There is a wonderful golden star suspended across this gap by wires and it is magical the way it sparkles in the sunlight. On the site of the original abbey is now the chapel of Notre Dame de Beauvoir, built in the 12th century. Looking very Italian it has a multi-storey bell tower.
The village is famous for it's handmade blue & white faience (earthenware). Some of the small shops selling this crockery, are literally caves in the side of the cliffs!

I love the tile rooves of Provence, and here you can see perfectly from above.

• In a nutshell:Not just terracotta tiles, this village has surprises everywhere.
  • Intro Updated May 30, 2006

• adema29's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Lovely village! And the Gorges du Verdon looks great!

• BorderHopper's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Very nice! I have to admit that when I'd think of France I just wouldn't picture this type of scenery..thank you for sharing your photos of this beautiful French village. I hope to experience it for myself one day!

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2008 at 5:54 PM

Beautiful fotos!What a lovely place!Thanks!

• vinc_bilb's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2008 at 12:41 AM

Hello, great pages. I share your view about Verdon's area, one of my favorite in France. Thanks

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2008 at 4:37 PM

Hi Pam, as you know Ive been and had my trip to the lovely Gorges du Verdon and been to Moustiers, back to yr page to have another look at yr faience!Have put my buy in a tip now too.

• BROOKS's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Moistiers faience-it sounds very artsy. I want to own a piece, Kiwi!!! I bet you had to hold onto that in your carry on.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2006 at 6:37 AM

Ahhh, Pam, nice page :-)) Brings back a lot of memories, and the wish to go back and buy more of the fayence :-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2006 at 2:21 PM

Another "Gem" indeed. This is a lovely place with the spectacular scenes of nature. What more could one want?

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2005 at 12:17 AM

I went to Moustiers too!Loved the pottery and the roof tiles:-)Diana x

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2005 at 12:24 PM

The only tour I took while in Provence was to Moustier-St-Marie. It was a very charming village.

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Badges & Stats in Moustiers-Sainte-Marie

Have you been to Moustiers-Sainte-Marie?