"St Auban, the mecca of alpine gliding." Saint-Auban by kiwi
Saint-Auban Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 2 photos
Chateau Arnoux/St Auban is the where the main centre of alpine gliding is situated. There is a fine flying school and also the offices of the French gliding governing body.
I attended the 1997 World Gliding Championships as part of the crew in the New Zealand team. The experience was made all the better by the stunning scenery, especially the cliffs seen here.
Look closely and the glider in the centre of the photo is dropping water as it crosses the finish line at high speed. The water looks a little like smoke. Gliders come in to cross the line at high speed then climb steeply (using the speed momentum - remember they have no motor) to reposition themselves for a regular landing.
Probably the most action at one time came when all 100 gliders had to be launched into the air within an hour.
- Pros:The Alps provide the wonderful soaring conditions.
- Cons:Miles away from any large cities and amenities.
- In a nutshell:I can't think of any reason to go her but to Glide!!
kiwi's Related Pages
Saint-Auban Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saint-Auban
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Saint-Auban?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Auban
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Zealand Intro, 88 reviews, 196 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Queenstown Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 19 reviews, 115 photos, 9 travelogues
- Queen Charlotte Sound Intro, 21 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Auckland Intro, 45 reviews, 69 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotorua Intro, 15 reviews, 91 photos, 6 travelogues
- National Park Intro, 21 reviews, 71 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Maunganui Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northern Territory Intro, 1 review, 84 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Waiheke Island Intro, 20 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues