"Lie on your back and watch the clouds!!" kiwi's Profile

I walked the KEPLER TRACK in the Fiordland region of the South Island of New Zealand. Simply amazing, awesome and ON TOP OF THE WORLD!! Photos and pages posted.......
Welcome to VT! I'm Pam and have been here for a while, 14 years in fact. My birthyear is 1956 so you can work out my age. Can't post year only in the personal details. VT is a great place to meet fellow travellers and research destinations. As an active member you become part of a very friendly community.

New Zealand is stunning!

I had 10 days driving the backbone of the South Island, my favourite part of NZ. The Southern Alps mountain range runs down thru the middle of the long island, and has many many wonderful features. I love clouds, mountains and weather, so traveling in the autumn period was always going to be ?interesting?.
This photo is an area I had not previously visited, Glenorchy just 45 mins drive north up the shores of Lake Wakatipu from Queenstown. It is also the area where Peter Jackson chose to film some of the scenes in the Lord of the Rings (Tolkien) trilogy.
As I mentioned I had a mixture of weather, and with the advent of digital photography and endless photo memory, I was able to shoot off hundreds of photos. Now I have the huge task of sifting thru them and resizing to load onto VT.
I will never tire of this area, and although I had the opportunity to return to Christchurch via the coastal road, I couldn?t resist driving back, again, through the mountains. Sadly on both journeys, Mt Cook was covered in bad weather so I didn?t venture closer in to see it.
I did get some nice distance photos though.

I'm passionate about my country, and love to showcase it.
Check out one flight I did to our gorgeous coastline here .

If you enjoy the throbbing sound of the Merlin, and the beauty of the Spitfire's design, you need to go to the Warbirds Over Wanaka show. See it here on my Spitfires travelogue and also here.

Freefalling......

My mother was a skydive instructor and I did many jumps in my earlier years. But that was a long time ago, so doing this tandem after 20 years was quite the experience!!
Check out my Perris, California page and view the travelogues to see more of the skydive.

ONE TREE HILL

We turn away to face the cold, enduring chill
As the day begs the night for mercy

Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes
You ran like river to the sea
Like a river to the sea
And in our world a heart of darkness, a fire zone
Where poets speak their hearts, then bleed for it
Jara sang, his song a weapon, in the hands of love
You know his blood still cries from the ground

It runs like a river to the sea
Like a river to the sea
I don?t believe in painted roses or bleeding hearts
While bullets rape the night of the merciful
I?ll see you again when the stars fall from the sky
And the moon has turned red over One Tree Hill
We run like a river to the sea
Like a river to the sea

Written by U2 to the memory of kiwi Greg Carroll killed on Bono's Motorcycle.
One Tree Hill, in Auckland New Zealand, was Greg's favourite spot.

I am a big Tintin fan and love his life of travel,adventure and journalism. Long live Tintin!!
I don't experience quite the adventures of Tintin, but you can see some of mine on these pages:
NewZealand>Skippers page - Scariest Trip travelogue.
New Zealand>Napier - Weekend Adventure Travelogue.
New Zealand>Lake Ohau - flight over this barren area.
California>Perris Valley Skydive!- Get your knees in the breeze!

New Zealand

I have an extensive New Zealand page however I am slowly building more and more pages about different towns and areas of the country.
I guess I specialise in pages New Zealand, and hope to keep building.

If you have an interest, visit this page to see Hobbiton from the Lord of the Rings movie, in Middle Earth:
New Zealand>Matamata

New Zealand>Arrowtown
New Zealand>Waihou River

FRANCE

My favourite France pages are:
Lurs - (Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur)
Moustiers-Sainte-Marie-(Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur)
Forcalquier - (Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur)
Chambord - (Centre)

I'd like to recommend some great VT member pages:

SirRichard - He is the master of VT with his pages and paintings.
worldtrekker-Ernst is so very interesting and his photography is superb.
Ekahau - Paul writes about my favourite place Antarctica and also treats us to the special destination of Tristan da Cunha. Be sure to take some time to have a look. Also check out his visit to the Embera Indians in Tintin style on his Panama page.
MacKiwi - HongKong and Bangkok and China!! He is the best in Asia!!
keeweechic - She has such an immense amount of information to give!
ATLC - Anke-Thea has such full & interesting pages on countries like France and Netherlands, as well she takes us to remote locations as French Guiana and Suriname. Thanx my friend, and you understand New Zealand so well!!
lihue - Uli's pages on Antarctica and New Zealand are superb.
richiecdisc - He is a great photojournalist!! And a long time friend here.
Geoff_Wright - Geoff is the Lord of the SthWest of England, and VT's gentleman.
daarth - David, long time member of VT, our sailing adventurer.
Pawtuxet - She is teaching me about Rhode Island and Providence.
BenFromParis - Ben is the best Parisian host. thanx Ben!
RamSter - A young very enthusiastic traveller, on whose pages you can read about Australia and Croatia, both of which he knows very well. Go look!
Kiwigal_1 - Kiwigal has great knowledge on her Japan pages from living there and also has a lot to share on Mongolia.
AliJoe - Kamal is one of my oldest friends on VT and his pages on countries like Afghanistan are well worth reading.
giampiero6 - Our trusty leader, hahaha. But he knows so much about Italy and I love his Joshua Tree page, I want to go there!!

frankcanfly's Antarctic page - this is the most uptodate and "real" page on the ice continent on VT. Amazing!
Waxbag - has some very interesting family travel pages, I admire him greatly!
munki - his travel photos are superb. Simply outstanding. Go take a look!!
1+1 - his outback Australian exploits are phenominal!

This is my favourite book. Written by the author of the popular "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull" Richard Bach, this story is slightly different. Still aviation based but with a different slant. The main character, Donald Shimoda, is my real mentor and if only I could fly like he does.
I'd have clean leading edges, with not a bug in sight.........

• Intro Updated Jan 29, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
kiwi's Profile Photo

kiwi

“Travel is the world's best education.”

Real Name