"Accidental Balikpapan" Top 5 Page for this destination Balikpapan by kissman

Balikpapan Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 46 photos

Why Balikpapan?

Why Balikpapan? I totally blame it on airasia.com. Got one of their promotional e-mail and was searching for places to visit. And the cheapest was RM10.00 for Balikpapan, at the end, plus whatever fees there was, it was RM200.00 but still affordable since I was not planning for a travel.

But searching for info on the net was daunting since it seems that most backpackers are interested for the whole Borneo exploration whereas I was just blowing a few days of my Chinese New Year holidays. But enough helpful info was obtained from lonely planet forum, vt, and cold calling on some yahoo messengers.

The whole trip was okay considering my first time to that part of Indonesia and since I was not looking for something particular, it was nice to see the people and culture there. But if yo have other options, I would not recommend it so much.

Info from Internet

I searched for info on Balikpapan after paying for my flight ticket, and boy, was I surprised. There's not much info at all and I started to worry. But a few sites helped; those are:

thorntree.lonelyplanet.com
www.balikpapan.go.id
www.indonesia.nl (under tourism menu)

And may the force be with you.

• Last visit to Balikpapan: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated May 5, 2006

• imran8852's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2006 at 2:15 AM

Assalamu'alikum Uncle Kisman, Enjoyed Reading About Your Balikpapan Page!

• hassan_abu's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2006 at 5:43 AM

Good tips on BPN. I was there once in 2000, but did not go out much as I was working in a gas project in the jungle. But I do remember Balik Papan Plaza. Anyway, Have a Great Birthday. Cheers, Abu

• mansionion's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2006 at 6:43 AM

One of my frined is frm BPN so I guess 1 day I'll be here too. Thx for sharing the info, could come in handy 1 day. -m-

kissman

“I'm clueless about KL/Malaysia ... sorry”

Badges & Stats in Balikpapan

Have you been to Balikpapan?

Latest Activity in Balikpapan