"Get a sense of the history" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Arthur by kooka3
Port Arthur Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 166 photos
Port Arthur is the first place in Australia that I got a real sense of the history of the place. I was awe-struck and saddened by the experience - wandering where the convicts were imprisoned, worked, lived. Wow. It's eerie/haunting.
There is lots of literature, both fiction and non fiction that you can check out about Port Arthur. "For The Term of His Natural Life" by Marcus Clarke is probably one of the most famous. It's well worth reading something about the place.
Plan on a full day at Port Arthur. There is a youth hostel and a small motel; I would recommend staying overnight to give yourself lots of time, although there are heaps of 1 day tours from Hobart.
The Hospital, which was the third building built in Port Arthur, was built in the early 1840s. It's located up the hill... more travel advice
This was one of my favorite buildings on the site. It sits on the west side of the settlement on a hill overlooking the... more travel advice
kooka3's Related Pages
Port Arthur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CONVICT SETTLEMENT"
- "Get a sense of the history"
- "More than Just a Jail!"
- "Port Arthur - Convict's Retreat"
- "Port Arthur Gateway to Freedom"
- "Port Arthur"
- "PORT ARTHUR- BE SURPRISED!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Arthur
- Hotels in Port Arthur
- Transportation in Port Arthur
- Restaurants in Port Arthur
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Arthur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Arthur
- 8 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Port Arthur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Arthur
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Recommendations for a good..."
- Commented on one of Henk.Irene's Port Arthur travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "This probably goes without saying . . ."
- updated a Port Arthur Travel Page "Get a sense of the history"
- Wrote a Review The hospital in Port Arthur Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 34 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ithaca Intro, 28 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 22 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syracuse Intro, 25 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Binghamton Intro, 27 reviews, 8 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 8 photos
- Wolfeboro Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Kakadu National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- San Diego 5 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Arthur Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos