Sydney Transportation Tips by kooka3
Sydney Transportation: 423 reviews and 484 photos
The monorail at Darling Harbour
I think that the monorail is a good should-do-once-on-your-first-trip sort of thing, but it's not really all that good for actually getting around the city. However, if you are concentrating your daily activities to the "must-dos" of the city like chinatown, darling harbour, the CBD, QVB, etc, get a day-pass for the monorail which costs A$9. Otherwise, it's not really worth the price (single entry is A$4). It does give you a great view of the downtown area, so if you have a day-pass, I would recommend doing a full loop just to look around the city. The City Centre stop is close to Centrepoint (tip forthcoming); Darling Point for the Aquarium (see tip) and Darling Harbour/IMAX(see tip); Haymarket for Chinatown or the Powerhouse Museum (tip forthcoming); Park Plaza for QVB (see tip) and Town Hall (tip forthcoming). Watch the hours - it doesn't operate overnight like the other trains do. In fact, they stop running at 10pm except for the weekends when they go until midnight.
Other Contact: www.metromonorail.com.au/
If you're going to do a lot of travelling, get a 10-trip pass. Just be warned - the price changes depending on zones. It can be a little confusing at first. Ask the driver how many zones you will be going or how many times you will need to punch the card for your trip. If you are going to stay in the immediate CBD area, you'll be in zone 1, but zone 2 comes up quickly!
You can buy cards that will cover more zones if you're going to go out of the CBD a lot.
More Reviews (32)
- See All Skywalk
- See All Manly
- See All Sydney Central YHA
- Ghost Tour: not your typical night life,...
- See All Amazing Greek Food
kooka3's Related Pages
Sydney Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What do you do with your weekend?"
- "Love Those Sydneysiders"
- "Sydney - For the discerning tourist"
- "Flying down Sydney Way..."
- "The best start to any adventure Down Under"
- "City of Water and Trees"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sydney
- Hotels in Sydney
- Transportation in Sydney
- Nightlife in Sydney
- Restaurants in Sydney
- Shopping in Sydney
- Warnings and Dangers in Sydney
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sydney
- 34 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Sydney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sydney
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 34 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ithaca Intro, 28 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boston Intro, 22 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Syracuse Intro, 25 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Binghamton Intro, 27 reviews, 8 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 13 reviews, 8 photos
- Wolfeboro Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Kakadu National Park Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- San Diego 5 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Arthur Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Darling Harbour- 171 Reviews, 317 Photos
- Blue Mountains- 105 Reviews, 157 Photos
- Sydney Opera House- 176 Reviews, 292 Photos
- Harbour Bridge- 199 Reviews, 315 Photos
- Rocks- 106 Reviews, 169 Photos
- Circular Quay- 84 Reviews, 188 Photos
- Taronga Zoo- 94 Reviews, 193 Photos
- Chinatown- 37 Reviews, 93 Photos
- Queen Victoria Building- 52 Reviews, 108 Photos
- AMP Centre Point Tower- 63 Reviews, 97 Photos
See All Sydney Things to Do