"My second home" Sydney by kooka3

Sydney Travel Guide: 5,798 reviews and 13,510 photos

Much more than the harbour

I lived in Sydney for a year to go to Sydney Uni. It feels like my second home, and if I had the money to stay, I would have.

Most people only view Sydney as the harbour; although there are AMAZING things to do in and around the harbour, that's not the only thing in Sydney that's wonderful.

The thing that impressed me the most about the city is how green it is. Trees and flowers are everywhere. It's one of the nicest cities I've ever been in. There is an area that feels like a city - the Central Business District (CBD) that has the skyscrapers and busy feel. Mostly, though, the city sprawls, much like LA does. Most of the buildings outside the CBD are no more than 5 or 6 stories high. The suburbs are wonderful and full of surprises - Saturday markets in school yards, little cafes, bookstores, etc. You could spend days wandering through the different areas of the city - each suburb has a different feel: Glebe is very bohemian; Newtown has lots of Thai and Indian restaurants as well as a big gay population; King's corner is the "red-light district" -- or as close as Sydney gets to it.

This is a view of the opera house you probably won't see too often! - I'm sitting on the steps of the opera house waiting for a friend to meet me. This is a great people-watching place!

Sydney is full of contrasts! Make sure you take the time to look around you as you walk around the city. This is taken right in the Central Business District.

• Pros:Plenty to explore, every kind of restaurant/museum/entertainment that you could want
  • Cons:expensive like most big cities.
  • Last visit to Sydney: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 1, 2005

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2006 at 3:25 AM

Thanks for visiting my Sydney page, Marissa. Great tips you've got here! You can never go wrong with cheap, tasty gyros!

• Mar 9, 2006 at 10:23 PM

Luv ur summation of Darling Hbr. Too true! Gotta do the Rocks Ghost Tour & an ANZAC Dawn Service when I get back to the city.

• Feb 13, 2006 at 2:50 AM

So many fun, interesting & beautiful things to do & see in Sydney, but I thank & respect u 4 mentioning the War Memorial in Hyde Park & the ANZAC Dawn Service. These are really special things.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2006 at 2:24 PM

Gr8 updates on a gr8 city Marissa. When are you coming back for your next visit?

• ta2to2a's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2005 at 11:55 AM

nice page

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2005 at 5:09 AM

excellent tips about this fabulous city, we loved our stay in Sydney, there was never a dull moment

• Gwynneth's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2005 at 4:37 PM

Great to meet another Syndey lover! My favourite spot is The Rocks! Really enjoyed reading about your PhD too. Good luck with focusing on your subject matter and not getting too diverse! :o) Greetings from Australia and me!

• martin_nl's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2005 at 3:10 AM

Had a great read through your page and loved it. Excellent tips and not all the ordinary ones. Next time I have to make it to the fish market and also have to do a ghost tour....

• deWilde's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2005 at 8:18 PM

The biggest perk of window filled buildings is the great impressionistic photo you get to take. What a great picture!

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2005 at 6:37 PM

Hi, Marissa. Great tip about the reataurant. I probably won't be back in Oz for a while but my stepdaughter (Greek parentage) will be there in September. I'll point her towards this place ;-)) fergy.

kooka3

“Above all nations comes humanity.”

Badges & Stats in Sydney