"Otok Brac, Croatia" Top 5 Page for this destination Otok Brac by marktynernyc
Otok Brac Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 244 photos
By Peter Simunovic
Brac pronounced Brach.
"....On this island man and stone have lived and fought each other from time immemorial. This island is my rock. Olives writhe and cypresses slumber in its cracks. Today fewer vineyards burst into leaf on its terraced slopes and, in the spring, fewer lively goats and unruly colts riotously race each other in its grassy vales.
My island is full of heaps of stone piled up through the centuries by hard working hands which picked out the stones from the barren clearings in order to wrest the thin layers of soil from the karst and plant in it the vine to yield dry "plavac” and the sweet "vugava” wines.
At the dawn of history such heaps of stone, hill forts and tumuli were silhouetted, on the ridges of Brac. Watering places were dug and paths cleared everywhere in the bare rock, and later settlements, churches and ports were built. The bowels of the island yielded the marble for the huge Palace of Diocletian and many other magnificent buildings throughout the world. The people of this island have always, struggled for their land, always dependent on the mercy of the skies: would they send rain to the parched terra rossa or fire to burn the fruits of the earth defiantly maturing in the stone?
This island evades, superficial judgment and hasty comparisons. It will conceal its true identity from the observer, and will bestow a smile rather than shed a tear as bitter as wormwood and as clear as grape-brandy.
Brac is at its most hospitable in summer when it opens up its heart and presents: its small towns, and villages and its coves. In summer, the population doubles on its shores, which stretch for more than a hundred miles. Sage, xeranthemum, heather, lavender and rosemary bushes bloom on its slopes and fill one's nostrils with their scents. A multitude of colors meet the gaze: ripe dog berries, bearberries, barberries, mallow, the swollen fruits of blackthorn, blackberry and mahaleb bushes. The deafening song of crickets chirping tirelessly on the knotty jasmines, junipers and spruces, has given the island its name, "island of crickets"...."
"...Skrip is the oldest settlement on the island. Set on the top of the hill, with its belfry, church facade and huge... more travel advice
"...Lozisca has chosen its site in a very steep stone glade. The stone houses are strung one upon the other along the... more travel advice
- See All homestyle dishes in Bol...
- fresh organic produce at local markets...
- rent a scooter....
- See All stone cutting school in Pucisca, Brac...
marktynernyc's Related Pages
Otok Brac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coming home to Brac"
- "Otok Brac, Croatia"
- "Brac - most famous for its WHITE STONE"
- "take a ferry to paradise"
- "Island of Brac"
- "ISLAND BRAC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Otok Brac
- Hotels in Otok Brac
- Transportation in Otok Brac
- Nightlife in Otok Brac
- Restaurants in Otok Brac
- Shopping in Otok Brac
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Otok Brac
- 20 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Otok Brac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Otok Brac
Photos in Otok BracSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otok Brac Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hvar Intro, 28 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antigua Guatemala Intro, 20 reviews, 39 photos
- Oaxaca de Juárez Intro, 31 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Venice Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 25 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 13 reviews, 24 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos