"Main Metropolis" Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main by Weissdorn
Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide: 1,783 reviews and 3,933 photos
Frankfurt - Bankfurt - Hib'te'bach -Little Mainhatten - the city that fascinates and appalls so many of my fellow Americans. Fascinating, because it's a modern German city - shopping, nightlife, cool places to hang out, and the airport's right next door. Appalling for some, because it's not Munich with its exuberance of 19th century and gothic architecture. No, it's not the scene for a remake of the Sound of Music, and not the same town they sent Heidi to live in when she came down from the Alps.
Frankfurt is a mixture. All large number of foreigners live here, which gives it its nickname - Mainhatten. Just like in New York, you can dine around the world in this town, without ever having to go to the airport. Full of every taste of night life, from jazz festivals to techno discos, modern art exhibits to Jewish literature festivals, skyscraper parties, main parties, strip shows, gambling casinos, more bars than one person can visit in a lifetime.
If you need a budget tip for a hotel, try Offenbach am Main, the neighboring city to Frankfurt.
What's the weather like now in Frankfurt?
Have a look for yourself with the webcams:
Skyline from the Trade Fair Tower
Northwest view of the Main Metropolis Skyline
Roemer or Town Square
Frankfurt is has international integrity. It was originally supposed to be the capital of West Germany. Today it's the European capital for banking and financial services. It's full of the latest trend shopping centers, has a mix of traditional and cosmopolitan events - the American version of Germany, marked by a nation that left its lasting impression and influence through its occupational forces. There are really only 5 cities in Germany that really have international flair (Berlin, Dusseldorf, Hamburg, Cologne and Frankfurt), and Frankfurt is one that truly has an American taste - fast-paced, variable, a melting pot, open to foreigners, always wanting to the latest wave in the trendy scene. This town magically attracts financial professionals, law professionals and advertising magnets.
Many citiies that were bombed out in the Second World War were re-erected practically overnight. In some cases famous buildings were rebuilt, while many others would slip into the forgotten photos of history. Unlike the Ruhr Pott, Frankfurt selected a mixture of rebuilding the old, and adding the new. while some Germans in other cities call modern architecture "eyesores" Frankfurt continues to remain one of the leading cities in Europe that sponsers the evolution of architecture. This is a thousand year old tradition. So never mind if some people say that Frankfurt is ugly - Frankfurt is beautiful and interesting.
- Pros:City with international flair
- Cons:Not reknown for being typical German
- In a nutshell:Fascinating and Fast-paced
The U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt is located in the Siesmayer Straße right next to the Palmengarten (Botanical Park).... more travel advice
Although I am heterosexual, some of my friends are homosexual, and when we meet we like to go to places where both are... more travel advice
- See All Bockenheim - Where the Students Hang Out
- See All Frankfurt's Revamped Wellness Spa
- See All The Party in the Train Station
- See All Paddling Down the Main River
Weissdorn's Related Pages
Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the world's best opera company"
- "The most Un-German City in Germany"
- "Main Metropolis"
- "A city better than its reputation"
- "Frankfurt - aka "Mainhattan""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Frankfurt am Main
- Hotels in Frankfurt am Main
- Transportation in Frankfurt am Main
- Nightlife in Frankfurt am Main
- Restaurants in Frankfurt am Main
- Shopping in Frankfurt am Main
- Warnings and Dangers in Frankfurt am Main
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frankfurt am Main
- 62 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 100 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Frankfurt am Main?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frankfurt am Main
- Posted in Travel Wiesbaden Forum "Re: Long Term Parking at..."
- updated a Frankfurt am Main Travel Page "Main Metropolis"
- Wrote a Review Getting into the U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt am Main Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Getting into the U.S. Consulate"
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Frankfurt am Main travel pages
Photos in Frankfurt am MainSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 107 reviews, 122 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 79 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 62 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rhön Intro, 48 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Butzbach Intro, 35 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Offenbach Intro, 24 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gelnhausen Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grünberg Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lich Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue