"The Barbarossa City" Gelnhausen by Weissdorn
Gelnhausen Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 98 photos
It's hard to imagine that this small town, just a short drive away from Frankfurt/M, was once the capital of the Holy Roman Empire, THE center of the known world, in fact. Because Frankfurt/M is a big city today, whereas Gelnhausen is a small town. The reason could be because Gelnhausen was Barbarossa's city, and Frankfurt was the coronation place for a number of Holy Roman Emperors. Today Gelnhausen has the quaintness of a small town in Germany, although that "Old World" characteristic has been cherishingly preserved. If you take a walk through the narrow streets and allies in the old town, you can almost feel the ghosts of history walking past you.
TRY a new road in Germany! If you want to see some of the most interesting half-timbered houses in Germany, try the TRAVELOGE The Half-Timbered House Road for a DIFFERENT ROAD to travel in Germany.
Or visit the individual pages:
Steinau an der Strasse
If you would like to find out where the Rhýn is try this map, which you can zoom in and out of to view the area.
Go Live to Gelnhausen - Barbarossa Street!
- Pros:Great Day Trip from Frankfurt
- Cons:Small Town - Little Night Life
- In a nutshell:Real Germany only 45 minutes away from Frankfurt
Below St. Mary’s Church, on the “Untermarkt” (Lower Marketplace), is the "Romanische Haus" (Romanesque House), the... more travel advice
The oldest building in the city is the Godobertus Chapel, which must have been built in the early 12th century. This... more travel advice
Weissdorn's Related Pages
Gelnhausen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Heart of Europe . . ."
- "The Barbarossa City"
- "GELNHAUSEN-- Barbarossa Stadt"
- "Gelnhausen, DE"
- "Barbarossa Town Gelnhausen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gelnhausen
- Hotels in Gelnhausen
- Transportation in Gelnhausen
- Restaurants in Gelnhausen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gelnhausen
- 25 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Gelnhausen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gelnhausen
Photos in GelnhausenSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 104 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 79 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 62 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rhön Intro, 48 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Butzbach Intro, 35 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Offenbach Intro, 24 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gelnhausen Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grünberg Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lich Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue