Turkey Favorite Tips by Weissdorn Top 5 Page for this destination
Turkey Favorites: 528 reviews and 494 photos
Where You Can Experience the Magic
Favorite thing: Discovering a new bay!
Well most of the time the others discover the new bays, because in the meantime, I've scene quite a few of them - but still you cannot get enough of it.
Fondest memory: Letting my crew members discover things for themselves. This is picture of my friend Mike, and he asked if he and his mate could use the inflatible raft with the outboarder (the tender). Yeah, sure I said.
They wanted to go to the local disco all night by themselves.
No problem, I said.
I showed them how to start and stop the motor.
"But what if we come back late?"
"Well, you'll be back before the sun gets hot, won't you?"
"Yeah, sure, why not?"
Where You Can Discover the Country and the People
Favorite thing: If you can't go to the store, the store will come to you!
You've hardly let down your anchor, and rat-ta-ta-ta-tah! Some Turkish guy comes out of the woodwork with his open boat and outboard motor wanting to sell you all kinds of stuff, from sun-bleached almonds, to olives, apricots, bracelets, necklaces, handmade carpets, table clothes, fish, bread, cake, ice cream, an hour on a jetski - you name it they'll go and get it for a price.
Fondest memory: Actually, I was grateful for Murat's help. We stopped here and we didn't have time to go to the bank on that day, and didn't have a lot of money. He gave us a Moray eel, which I made fish stew from on board, using the local herbs.
Where the Adventure Awaits you
Favorite thing: Well, when we get around to sailing, it's alot of fun - not too risky - not too wimpy either!
Fondest memory: My favourite memory was this day - wind force of 6 Beaufort gusting up to 8 - sails reffed properly and hitting up to 8.5 knots on a 14 meter 7.5 ton ship. All that power under you finger tips!
Not the feeling - oh my God I'm going to fall off - more like the feeling of gliding over the ocean!
You Can Just be Yourself
Favorite thing: In the world of sailing, you can basically divide the people into two groups - the runaway holiday pirates and the stiff-upper-lip sailors who live for regattas. Guess which group we belong too?
Fondest memory: The favourite memory of everybody who tags along is:
That you can sleep as long as you like
Go to bed when you want to
Eat when you're hungry
You don't have to dress up to go out to dinner
Where Warm Blue Waters Await You
Favorite thing: Seeing is believing. No, wait! Jumping in and feeling it all around you is believing that these places really do exist!
Fondest memory: When people see pictures and ask me if I fiddled with them to get the water so blue. No, I didn't, and actually the water is even bluer. They call the country Turkey, because it's where they first found Turquoise. The country is named after the colour.
In the Land of 1001 Nights
Favorite thing: That this place is different - different from Greece, from Croatia, from Italy, from France and Spain. The people and the culture make it unique.
Fondest memory: Awakening to hear the Muhezzin call people to prayer at the crack of dawn. In Göçek the Muhezzin has the best singing voice. We would have liked to pay him a compliment, but thought he might find it offending.
Don't You Dream of Sailing Off Somewhere?
Favorite thing: There is nothing like sailing along the crystal clear waters of the Western Mediterranean /Aegean Coast! This relaxation pure! Gone is the dull, grey everyday office life, and here is living, colorful simple and easy!
Fondest memory: There are places here where time simply doesn't exist. In fact it worked so well, that sometime in the middle of our last trip a shipmate what day it was. Nobody knew - and nobody cared! I love the fact that stress rarely exists in Turkey!
More Reviews (72)
- See All Osmanic Empire Soldiers
- See All Antalya
- No Suitcases, Please!
- See All Friendships
- See All The Friendly Guys Standing Outside the...
- See All Wine Bars in Turkey
- See All Renting a Car in Southern Turkey
- Shopping in Turkey
- See All Inside the Yacht
- See All Negotiate the Price, Then Order a Meal!
- Spiraling down to the Turquoise Sea
- See All Their Motto is "Dance Your Pants Off"
Weissdorn's Related Pages
Turkey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Turkey - a travell from east to west"
- "DID YOU KNOW THAT ?"
- "My Turkey - real and virtual"
- "Turkey's Magnificent Riviera"
- "Travels in Turkey"
- "Turkey: Spans Both Europe and Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Turkey
- Hotels in Turkey
- Transportation in Turkey
- Nightlife in Turkey
- Restaurants in Turkey
- Shopping in Turkey
- Warnings and Dangers in Turkey
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Turkey
- 79 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 27 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Turkey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turkey
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 104 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 79 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 62 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rhön Intro, 48 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Butzbach Intro, 35 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Offenbach Intro, 24 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gelnhausen Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grünberg Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lich Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (16)
Top Turkey hotels
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos
- Antalya Hotels
- 739 Reviews - 2057 Photos
- Marmaris Hotels
- 624 Reviews - 1134 Photos
- Bodrum Hotels
- 708 Reviews - 1641 Photos
- Icmeler Hotels
- 235 Reviews - 455 Photos
- Alanya Hotels
- 435 Reviews - 986 Photos
- Kusadasi Hotels
- 312 Reviews - 853 Photos
- Belek Hotels
- 58 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Side Hotels
- 143 Reviews - 364 Photos
- Fethiye Hotels
- 352 Reviews - 878 Photos
- Hisaronu Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 57 Photos
- Ankara Hotels
- 372 Reviews - 1286 Photos
- Pamukkale Hotels
- 270 Reviews - 958 Photos
- Kemer Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 168 Photos
- Izmir Hotels
- 454 Reviews - 1275 Photos