"Turkey's Magnificent Riviera" Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey by Weissdorn

Turkey Travel Guide: 24,812 reviews and 71,738 photos

There is so much to enjoy on Turkey's South Coast

I couldn't tell you why, but I am an absolute Turkey fan. Maybe it's because I find Turkey a riddle. One of the most fascinating things I find about this country is that it is not perfect - neither the landscape nor the people, which makes it so enjoyable, and so rewarding. It's very different from the rest of the Mediterranean countries, that have catering to tourists down to a fine science - that's the problem - there's no more surprises.
Turkey, on the other hand is like a box of Cracker Jacks - you never know how your vacation is going to turn out until you go there. Isn't that wonderful? There's always an element of surprise.
While the many Europeans prefer to have absolute mondane service quality that they can bank on, I prefer the 89% degree of perfection rate that Turkey offers. Imagine - a vacation where something happens! I don't mean things like, ooh, the waiter dropped glass, and Mrs. Jones is having an affair with Mr. Smith from the room next door. I am thinking of things happen like, for example, the bus brakes down for half a day, out in the middle of nowhere. Although most of the other tourists on the bus are already phoning home on their cell phones to their lawyers to sue the tourist company, I'm usually sitting with the gas station owner sipping tea, while his wife is showing me photos of their newborn grandson, and he asks if he can play me some songs on his Sait.
That's another thing I really like about Turkey. If they sometimes make a mistake in organisation they compensate more than adequately with friendliness, hospitality and politeness. No one here has ever cursed me or insulted me as a tourist.
The other thing I find fascinating about the people is their sense of charity. Although many are poor in this country, starving children are not to be seen. Although their government does not provide an adequate social services program, in comparison to their European neighbours, the village mosque takes over this roll with pride. No one despite their personal religion has to starve or sleep in the cold here - the people are there for their friends and strangers.

• Pros:No Stress, No Foul Weather Gear, No Problem
  • Cons:No Beaches
  • In a nutshell:The Perfect Chill-out Vacation
  • Last visit to Turkey: Nov 2002
  • Intro Updated Jul 18, 2003

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2009 at 3:07 PM

You've shown us a very beautiful Turkey. Thanks so much for enlightening me. Wish I was on the sailboat w/ you to go to Cleopatra's bath.

• neodue's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 7:48 AM

Nice tips.thank you.just one point I want to tell you.Antalya is not a state .it is a province of Turkey. there is no state in turkey :) we are not a federal rep. like germany.

• Jun 17, 2006 at 11:25 AM

I am going to Turkey on a charter trip with 10 friends. We're young and don't want "blue cruising" kind .can you advise me where to book my trip? do you know where we shou ld go by night? Should we go towards marmaris or bobrum? Thank you!

• traveloturc's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2006 at 3:12 PM

Dear Weissdorn I ve read carefully all your comments you are just good very good....Congratulations

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2005 at 3:43 AM

I enjoyed reading these well-written and helpful tips. They will be useful when I leave for Istanbul on Sunday!

• Little_Lou_Lou's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2005 at 6:31 AM

Your pictures and tips are phenomenal! You have a real talent!

• doreenellen's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2005 at 2:31 AM

Thanks for an interesting page and helpful tips which will help on my visit in May to Icemeler

• abc_of_freedom's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2004 at 12:28 PM

Great Page!!!! Mukemmel..

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2004 at 11:57 AM

Great page, I really like it.

• Maria_75's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2004 at 5:08 PM

love ur page. isn't turkey just great?!? :)

Weissdorn

“If I don't have a boat under my feet, I'm not really on vacation”

Badges & Stats in Turkey