"Turkey's Magnificent Riviera" Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey by Weissdorn
Turkey Travel Guide: 24,826 reviews and 71,541 photos
I couldn't tell you why, but I am an absolute Turkey fan. Maybe it's because I find Turkey a riddle. One of the most fascinating things I find about this country is that it is not perfect - neither the landscape nor the people, which makes it so enjoyable, and so rewarding. It's very different from the rest of the Mediterranean countries, that have catering to tourists down to a fine science - that's the problem - there's no more surprises.
Turkey, on the other hand is like a box of Cracker Jacks - you never know how your vacation is going to turn out until you go there. Isn't that wonderful? There's always an element of surprise.
While the many Europeans prefer to have absolute mondane service quality that they can bank on, I prefer the 89% degree of perfection rate that Turkey offers. Imagine - a vacation where something happens! I don't mean things like, ooh, the waiter dropped glass, and Mrs. Jones is having an affair with Mr. Smith from the room next door. I am thinking of things happen like, for example, the bus brakes down for half a day, out in the middle of nowhere. Although most of the other tourists on the bus are already phoning home on their cell phones to their lawyers to sue the tourist company, I'm usually sitting with the gas station owner sipping tea, while his wife is showing me photos of their newborn grandson, and he asks if he can play me some songs on his Sait.
That's another thing I really like about Turkey. If they sometimes make a mistake in organisation they compensate more than adequately with friendliness, hospitality and politeness. No one here has ever cursed me or insulted me as a tourist.
The other thing I find fascinating about the people is their sense of charity. Although many are poor in this country, starving children are not to be seen. Although their government does not provide an adequate social services program, in comparison to their European neighbours, the village mosque takes over this roll with pride. No one despite their personal religion has to starve or sleep in the cold here - the people are there for their friends and strangers.
- Pros:No Stress, No Foul Weather Gear, No Problem
- Cons:No Beaches
- In a nutshell:The Perfect Chill-out Vacation
The Sultan, Murad I was the 2nd Sultan who used a standing army, and formed the elite unit called the “Yani Corps” (Yeni... more travel advice
Sport Bag or Seaman's Duffle Bag Day Backpack 1-2 lightweight cotton loose pants (jeans are not recommended) 3+... more travel advice
- See All Go Sailing!
- See All The Friendly Guys Standing Outside the...
- See All Wine Bars in Turkey
- See All Renting a Car in Southern Turkey
- Shopping in Turkey
Weissdorn's Related Pages
Turkey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Turkey - a travell from east to west"
- "DID YOU KNOW THAT ?"
- "My Turkey - real and virtual"
- "Turkey's Magnificent Riviera"
- "Travels in Turkey"
- "Turkey: Spans Both Europe and Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Turkey
- Hotels in Turkey
- Transportation in Turkey
- Nightlife in Turkey
- Restaurants in Turkey
- Shopping in Turkey
- Warnings and Dangers in Turkey
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Turkey
- 79 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 27 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Turkey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turkey
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 104 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 79 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 62 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rhön Intro, 48 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Butzbach Intro, 35 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Offenbach Intro, 24 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gelnhausen Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grünberg Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lich Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue