"Germany on a Budget from an Insider" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany by Weissdorn

Germany Travel Guide: 57,048 reviews and 168,583 photos

Does the World Cost Too Much for You Too?

Are you like me? Always searching to travel the world, see the sights, but you don't necessarily want to or need to stay in palace accommodations or travel in the first class?
If you want to travel to Germany, see some great sites, avoid the tourist traps, and find affordable, low budget travel around Germany, and overnight accommodations, you came to the right place!.
Considering that 90% of the visitors and members are just like me, who are looking for a place that doesn't cost a lot, I thought it would be a pretty good idea to write some of the things I know here.
Don't worry that the natives might think you're chinchy! You are in good company, because they, like you shop for bargins too. Even the new advertising slogan "Geiz ist geil!" (Tightwadedness is groovey!)
It will take a little while to re-construct my page, but look for the savings tips in red.

Shortcuts

My list of Things to Do Tips is getting a little too long. So I decided that I could make you a shortcut list, so you could directly click to the things that interest you.

Places

Churches & Monasteries
The Cathedral in Speyer
Maulbronn Abbey
The Cathedral of Cologne
The Cathedral in Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle)
Pilgrimage Chapel "Die Wies"
Cathedral of Hildesheim

Martin Luther's Memorial - Eisleben & Wittenberg

Transportation and Accommodations

Please bear with me!
Transportation
The Bahn AG continues to change their marketing concepts. Old deals disappear and newer ones take their place. They also tend to complicate matters, and sometimes they make it difficult to keep up with them, so please bear with me if the info on my travel tips is a little out of date. Soon, I will have a complete shortcut list below, so that you can go directly to the info you want.

Shortcuts

Accommodations
With a quarter million hotel accommodations in Germany, it would be senseless to list them here. Sometimes I visit towns and don't stay there, but poke my head in the hotel, and ask them if I can tell them about their hotel here at VT. You would be surprised how friendly the hosts are. Anyway, that's the reason why I don't have specific info on particular hotels. It's better to search for the city you want to go to, and check out the individual VT pages on the towns. Below I've listed my favorite links for finding inexpensive accommodations.

Accommodation Links

Germany is Wunderbar Everywhere

No, this isn't one of Ludwig II's castles in Bavaria. Glücksburg is on the border to Denmark in Schleswig-Holstein. I still get complaints about listing Neuschwanstein as a tourist trap. I did it on purpose!

There is more of Germany to see than just Bavaria. It's like going to the Netherlands, and just visiting Holland. Speaking of that, maybe you should take an example of the Dutch. No matter how obscure a corner of Germany is, you can bet that Dutch tourists have not only been there; they have turned it into one of their favorite vacation places to go.

So when you're planning your first or next trip to Germany, remember there is far more to see than the Heidelberg-Rothenburg-Füssen-Munich-Dinkelsbühl-Tour. I like to encourge people to get off the beaten track, and explore a city that hasn't been done a 1,000 times already. You may not only save money in the long run, you could discover something your friends have never seen back home!

Click here for a list of less expensive areas to visit in Germany!

• Pros:A Multitude of Diversity, History and Culture
  • Cons:Rather Over-populated
  • In a nutshell:The Middle Cut of European Life
  • Last visit to Germany: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 5, 2008

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I learnt a lot of interesting things about Germany during my first visit to your page. For sure I'll come back for more. Eheh the story about the wood cutter's coat of arms sounds familiar to me ;-))

• Sep 17, 2009 at 9:47 AM

If you don't mind I add another tip to your vast collection of information for travellers in Germany: Get a prepaid cell phone plan in Germany and save money staying in touch with friends and family. Read more at www.phone-guide-germany.com

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2009 at 6:35 AM

Great! We are doing budget everywhere and your tips and photos make that a lot easier. thank you.

• Propermark's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2008 at 8:17 AM

Great tips here! I must read more later :-) Danke. I'm considering Germany for an internship.. we'll see ;)

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Nice tips, really. One correction, though: Age limit for the zero tolerance rule (alcohol and driving) is 21. Same rule applies, if you are 21 or older but have a probationary driving license.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Thanks for all the information and links, a brilliant Germany page!

• Feb 9, 2008 at 3:39 PM

The magic kingdom of Schaumburg-Lippe sounds fasinating. I'm adding it to my must see list. However, the location is 70 km "west" of Hannover not "east".

• Sage49's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2008 at 7:40 AM

Boy, it's so beautiful, esp. I love the view from your living room. I guess I could say you are absolutely lucky to be where you are at.

• Dec 12, 2007 at 12:20 AM

Thanks for this write up about the tap water. I drank a lot of it while I was in Frankfurt 3 weeks ago because of my sorethroat. My friends were alarmed when they heard I drank the tap water. I was sure I wasn't risking my health.

• leecouk12324's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2007 at 6:16 PM

I love it "Geiz ist geil!". Excellent. Zehr gut. Super! Geuz ist geil!

Weissdorn Works Here!

Weissdorn

“If I don't have a boat under my feet, I'm not really on vacation”

Badges & Stats in Germany

Have you been to Germany?