"Germany on a Budget from an Insider" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany by Weissdorn
Germany Travel Guide: 57,289 reviews and 168,664 photos
Are you like me? Always searching to travel the world, see the sights, but you don't necessarily want to or need to stay in palace accommodations or travel in the first class?
If you want to travel to Germany, see some great sites, avoid the tourist traps, and find affordable, low budget travel around Germany, and overnight accommodations, you came to the right place!.
Considering that 90% of the visitors and members are just like me, who are looking for a place that doesn't cost a lot, I thought it would be a pretty good idea to write some of the things I know here.
Don't worry that the natives might think you're chinchy! You are in good company, because they, like you shop for bargins too. Even the new advertising slogan "Geiz ist geil!" (Tightwadedness is groovey!)
It will take a little while to re-construct my page, but look for the savings tips in red.
My list of Things to Do Tips is getting a little too long. So I decided that I could make you a shortcut list, so you could directly click to the things that interest you.
The Rhine Valley
Cities & Towns
Bremen: City Hall and the Famous Roland
The Hansa Town of Stralsund
The Baltic Seaside Town of Wismar
The Old Town of Quedlinburg
Lübeck: Queen of the Hanseatic League
The Old Town in Bamberg
Rammelsberg and Goslar
The Ancient Roman City of Trier
Dresden: The Jewel of Saxony
Castles & Palaces
Bückeburg: Crown of the Weser Renaissance
The Residential Palace in Würzburg
The Sanssouci Palace in Potsdam
Augustusburg and Falkenlust
Churches & Monasteries
The Cathedral in Speyer
The Cathedral of Cologne
The Cathedral in Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle)
Pilgrimage Chapel "Die Wies"
Cathedral of Hildesheim
Lorsch Abbey and the Altenmünster
Gardens & Parks
The Classical Gardens in Dessau
The Island of Reichenau
The Völklinger Steel Mill
Glückauf! Zeche Zollverein in Essen
Messel Fossil Pits
Stilt Houses on Lake Constance
Bauhaus Workshops in Dessau and Weimar
Museum Island in Berlin
Martin Luther's Memorial - Eisleben & Wittenberg
Please bear with me!
The Bahn AG continues to change their marketing concepts. Old deals disappear and newer ones take their place. They also tend to complicate matters, and sometimes they make it difficult to keep up with them, so please bear with me if the info on my travel tips is a little out of date. Soon, I will have a complete shortcut list below, so that you can go directly to the info you want.
With a quarter million hotel accommodations in Germany, it would be senseless to list them here. Sometimes I visit towns and don't stay there, but poke my head in the hotel, and ask them if I can tell them about their hotel here at VT. You would be surprised how friendly the hosts are. Anyway, that's the reason why I don't have specific info on particular hotels. It's better to search for the city you want to go to, and check out the individual VT pages on the towns. Below I've listed my favorite links for finding inexpensive accommodations.
No, this isn't one of Ludwig II's castles in Bavaria. Glücksburg is on the border to Denmark in Schleswig-Holstein. I still get complaints about listing Neuschwanstein as a tourist trap. I did it on purpose!
There is more of Germany to see than just Bavaria. It's like going to the Netherlands, and just visiting Holland. Speaking of that, maybe you should take an example of the Dutch. No matter how obscure a corner of Germany is, you can bet that Dutch tourists have not only been there; they have turned it into one of their favorite vacation places to go.
So when you're planning your first or next trip to Germany, remember there is far more to see than the Heidelberg-Rothenburg-Füssen-Munich-Dinkelsbühl-Tour. I like to encourge people to get off the beaten track, and explore a city that hasn't been done a 1,000 times already. You may not only save money in the long run, you could discover something your friends have never seen back home!
Click here for a list of less expensive areas to visit in Germany!
- Pros:A Multitude of Diversity, History and Culture
- Cons:Rather Over-populated
- In a nutshell:The Middle Cut of European Life
In the state of Lower Saxony, not far from the town of Minden, there is a tiny little kingdom, it seems time and the... more travel advice
The have the same age, and people claim that both have part of the city for the last 600 years: The City Hall and the... more travel advice
- See All I Need A Place to Crash - But Not the...
- See All Oktoberfest in Munich
- See All Beware of Rumanian Begger Children
- See All Who said you can't drink the water?
- See All Fishing in Germany - Getting a License
- See All Computer & Electronic Stores
- See All Getting Around in the Greater Stuttgart...
- Lake Müritz
- Packing for Germany
- See All Camping in Germany
- See All Like Ice in the Sunshine, I'm Melting...
Been to Germany?Share your travels with the world!
Weissdorn's Related Pages
Germany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where to go and what to see !"
- "Germany - my beautiful home country :-)"
- "Germany on a Budget from an Insider"
- "Germany - Home, sweet Home!"
- "Breweries, Hikes and Climbs"
- "Paul's Germany Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Germany
- Hotels in Germany
- Transportation in Germany
- Nightlife in Germany
- Restaurants in Germany
- Shopping in Germany
- Warnings and Dangers in Germany
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Germany
- 425 Reviews
- 546 Photos
- 404 Forum posts
- 17 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Germany
- Posted in Travel Düsseldorf Forum "Re: Weekend trip!"
- updated a Germany Travel Page "Germany on a Budget from an Insider"
- Wrote a Review Bueckeburg - The Magic Kingdom of Schaumburg-Lippe in Germany Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Form of Government"
- Commented on one of tylercdurden2004's Germany travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 104 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 79 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 62 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rhön Intro, 48 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Butzbach Intro, 35 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Offenbach Intro, 24 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gelnhausen Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grünberg Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lich Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (16)
Top Germany hotels
- Berlin Hotels
- 6986 Reviews - 15658 Photos
- Munich Hotels
- 4322 Reviews - 10033 Photos
- Cologne Hotels
- 1610 Reviews - 4013 Photos
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- 951 Reviews - 2159 Photos
- Hamburg Hotels
- 1467 Reviews - 3485 Photos
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1734 Reviews - 3754 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 932 Reviews - 3138 Photos
- Leipzig Hotels
- 520 Reviews - 1115 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1105 Photos
- Stuttgart Hotels
- 615 Reviews - 1596 Photos
- Mainz Hotels
- 323 Reviews - 738 Photos
- Flensburg Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 59 Photos
- Hannover Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 2124 Photos
- Trier Hotels
- 580 Reviews - 1449 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos