"Germany on a Budget from an Insider" Top 5 Page for this destination Germany by Weissdorn
Germany Travel Guide: 59,354 reviews and 179,763 photos
Are you like me? Always searching to travel the world, see the sights, but you don't necessarily want to or need to stay in palace accommodations or travel in the first class?
If you want to travel to Germany, see some great sites, avoid the tourist traps, and find affordable, low budget travel around Germany, and overnight accommodations, you came to the right place!.
Considering that 90% of the visitors and members are just like me, who are looking for a place that doesn't cost a lot, I thought it would be a pretty good idea to write some of the things I know here.
Don't worry that the natives might think you're chinchy! You are in good company, because they, like you shop for bargins too. Even the new advertising slogan "Geiz ist geil!" (Tightwadedness is groovey!)
It will take a little while to re-construct my page, but look for the savings tips in red.
My list of Things to Do Tips is getting a little too long. So I decided that I could make you a shortcut list, so you could directly click to the things that interest you.
The Rhine Valley
Cities & Towns
Bremen: City Hall and the Famous Roland
The Hansa Town of Stralsund
The Baltic Seaside Town of Wismar
The Old Town of Quedlinburg
Lübeck: Queen of the Hanseatic League
The Old Town in Bamberg
Rammelsberg and Goslar
The Ancient Roman City of Trier
Dresden: The Jewel of Saxony
Castles & Palaces
Bückeburg: Crown of the Weser Renaissance
The Residential Palace in Würzburg
The Sanssouci Palace in Potsdam
Augustusburg and Falkenlust
Churches & Monasteries
The Cathedral in Speyer
The Cathedral of Cologne
The Cathedral in Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle)
Pilgrimage Chapel "Die Wies"
Cathedral of Hildesheim
Lorsch Abbey and the Altenmünster
Gardens & Parks
The Classical Gardens in Dessau
The Island of Reichenau
The Völklinger Steel Mill
Glückauf! Zeche Zollverein in Essen
Messel Fossil Pits
Stilt Houses on Lake Constance
Bauhaus Workshops in Dessau and Weimar
Museum Island in Berlin
Martin Luther's Memorial - Eisleben & Wittenberg
Please bear with me!
The Bahn AG continues to change their marketing concepts. Old deals disappear and newer ones take their place. They also tend to complicate matters, and sometimes they make it difficult to keep up with them, so please bear with me if the info on my travel tips is a little out of date. Soon, I will have a complete shortcut list below, so that you can go directly to the info you want.
With a quarter million hotel accommodations in Germany, it would be senseless to list them here. Sometimes I visit towns and don't stay there, but poke my head in the hotel, and ask them if I can tell them about their hotel here at VT. You would be surprised how friendly the hosts are. Anyway, that's the reason why I don't have specific info on particular hotels. It's better to search for the city you want to go to, and check out the individual VT pages on the towns. Below I've listed my favorite links for finding inexpensive accommodations.
No, this isn't one of Ludwig II's castles in Bavaria. Glücksburg is on the border to Denmark in Schleswig-Holstein. I still get complaints about listing Neuschwanstein as a tourist trap. I did it on purpose!
There is more of Germany to see than just Bavaria. It's like going to the Netherlands, and just visiting Holland. Speaking of that, maybe you should take an example of the Dutch. No matter how obscure a corner of Germany is, you can bet that Dutch tourists have not only been there; they have turned it into one of their favorite vacation places to go.
So when you're planning your first or next trip to Germany, remember there is far more to see than the Heidelberg-Rothenburg-Füssen-Munich-Dinkelsbühl-Tour. I like to encourge people to get off the beaten track, and explore a city that hasn't been done a 1,000 times already. You may not only save money in the long run, you could discover something your friends have never seen back home!
Click here for a list of less expensive areas to visit in Germany!
- Pros:A Multitude of Diversity, History and Culture
- Cons:Rather Over-populated
- In a nutshell:The Middle Cut of European Life
A lot of tourists think they can only bring 2 cartons of cigarettes or 1 liter of alcohol into the country maximum. Many... more travel advice
Ah, you just spotted a great deal for your next rent-a-car in Germany online. All the big agencies have price X and this... more travel advice
- See All I Need A Place to Crash - But Not the...
- See All Oktoberfest in Munich
- See All Who said you can't drink the water?
- See All Fishing in Germany - Getting a License
- See All Computer & Electronic Stores
Weissdorn's Related Pages
Germany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where to go and what to see !"
- "Germany - my partly beautiful home country"
- "Germany on a Budget from an Insider"
- "Germany - Home, sweet Home!"
- "Breweries, Hikes and Climbs"
- "Paul's Germany Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Germany
- Hotels in Germany
- Transportation in Germany
- Nightlife in Germany
- Restaurants in Germany
- Shopping in Germany
- Warnings and Dangers in Germany
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Germany
- 428 Reviews
- 549 Photos
- 425 Forum posts
- 17 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Germany
- updated a Germany Travel Page "Germany on a Budget from an Insider"
- Posted in Travel Wiesbaden Forum "Re: Long Term Parking at..."
- Wrote a Review Going Through "Red" is Better Than Paying Fines in Germany Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Going Through "Red" is Better Than Paying Fines"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Germany tips
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 107 reviews, 122 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 79 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 62 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rhön Intro, 48 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Butzbach Intro, 35 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Offenbach Intro, 24 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gelnhausen Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grünberg Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lich Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue