"Wiesbaden, the Capital of the State of Hesse" Wiesbaden by Weissdorn
Wiesbaden Travel Guide: 238 reviews and 442 photos
Wiesbaden is the second largest city in Hesse, after Frankfurt am Main. It may not be the biggest city, but it is the most picturesque large city in Hesse. Wiesbaden is the capital of the German State of Hesse (not Frankfurt am Main). It is one of the oldest spa cities in Europe, and has 26 geo-active thermal springs, and a cold spring to boot. The motto on the Kurhaus pictured above is Aquis Mattiacis - Latin for the "Water of the Mattiacs". The Mattiacs were the original inhabitants of Wiesbaden. The Romans named their settlement "Mattiaca". Despite popular belief, Wiesbaden was not a part of "Germania" as the Romans called their province; it was part of "Rhaetium", the region south of the Limes.
Wiesbaden is the largest city in the region in Hesse known as the "Rheingau" - the area south of Koblenz and covering the right bank of the scenic part of the Rhine river. Wiesbaden borders another German state known as Rhineland-Palatinate, which is just across the Rhine river, and the Taunus mountain region. Wiesbaden belongs to the western end of a sprawling metropolis area known as the Rhine-Main Area. There are a number of things that attract tourists to Wiesbaden. First of all, it is the capital of the state of Hesse, and the major city in one of the most famous wine areas in Germany, the Rheingau. The Rheingau is probably best-known for it's Riesling wines, although this is not the only kind of wine cultured in this area. It is the gateway for this region, and a good spot to catch a cruise down the Rhine. If you want the whole tour, it's best to get on in Wiesbaden and off in Koblenz.
Another reason why Wiesbaden is attractive is because it's one of the oldest spa centers in Europe. Wiesbaden has one of the most posh spa centers anyone can possibly imagine, and continues to expand on the types of wellness services in their spa programs. The traditional spa program is the least of what they have to offer. In addition to the baths, they have dozens of sports and recreation facilities, theater performances, music, a relatively lively night-life scene, and a whole year of municipal events. Yes, Wiesbaden is one of the "must-see" cities in Hesse.
- Pros:Most picturesque large city in the state of Hesse
- Cons:Expensive spa town full of yuppies and state politicians
The local Transit Authority in Wiesbaden is called the RMV, which stands for Rhein-Main-Verkehrsbund or the Rhine-Main... more travel advice
For tennis sport fans, there is a small number of public tennis courts available where you can play without having to be... more travel advice
Weissdorn's Related Pages
Wiesbaden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Opera and cycling in Wiesbaden"
- "My Wiesbaden"
- "Wiesbaden-The Spa Town"
- "djennewein's new Wiesbaden Page"
- "Welcome to my pages"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wiesbaden
- Hotels in Wiesbaden
- Transportation in Wiesbaden
- Nightlife in Wiesbaden
- Restaurants in Wiesbaden
- Shopping in Wiesbaden
- Warnings and Dangers in Wiesbaden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wiesbaden
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Wiesbaden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wiesbaden
Photos in WiesbadenSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 104 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 79 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 62 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rhön Intro, 48 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Butzbach Intro, 35 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Offenbach Intro, 24 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gelnhausen Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grünberg Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lich Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (16)
Latest Wiesbaden hotel reviews
- Nassauer Hof Hotel Wiesbaden
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- Admiral Hotel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- Radisson Blu Schwarzer Bock Hotel, Wiesbaden
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Ibis Wiesbaden Kranzplatz
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Ramada Hotel Wiesbaden-Nordenstadt
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Hansa
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013