"Bad Hersfeld - Home of the Oldest Party in Germany" Bad Hersfeld by Weissdorn
Bad Hersfeld Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 138 photos
Saint Lullus (710-786) didn't have it easy as Bonifatius' cousin. Lullus wasn't even a German to begin with - he was English. His cousin convinced him that God's Holy Work was to disperse heathen believe in Charlemange's Empire and bring the light of Christ to everyone (whether or not they liked the idea). And the Chatten people in the Rhön were hard customers, so Bonifatius pulled in reinforcements from the homeland. What started off as a little wooden shack, that Lullus opened for God's Holy Business, grew to be one of the more impressive Romanic architectural landmarks of the day - the Charity Monastery Church in Bad Hersfeld.
Although Lullus, a Celtic Monk, then later Abby for the Bendictine Monastery, and finally Archbishop of Mainz, was not a martyr like his cousin was, he was a stickler for enforcing Catholic rules, and when he died they buried him in the Charity Church (Stiftskirche). Later he was sainted for bringing the Light of Christ into the Darkness of Chatten Germany, and every year the Bad Hersfelders celebrate during the festival period by renewing the Light of Christ Fire during an annual party, called Lullus or "Lols" by the locals. It's reputed to be THE oldest Folksfestival in Germany.
Go Live to Bad Hersfeld!
TRY a new road in Germany! If you want to see some of the most interesting half-timbered houses in Germany, try the TRAVELOGE The Half-Timbered House Road for a DIFFERENT ROAD to travel in Germany.
Or visit the individual pages:
Steinau an der Strasse
Wide variety of typical German food - home cooking style - with a family atmosphere. They also have rooms available at... more travel advice
This little museum has a nice display of town history, history about how the Catholic Church played an immense role in... more travel advice
Weissdorn's Related Pages
Bad Hersfeld Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Bad Hersfeld"
- "Opera and cycling in Bad Hersfeld"
- "Bad Hersfeld - Home of the Oldest Party in Germany"
- "Only Sixteen, Alone in Germany."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bad Hersfeld
- Hotels in Bad Hersfeld
- Transportation in Bad Hersfeld
- Restaurants in Bad Hersfeld
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bad Hersfeld
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Bad Hersfeld?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bad Hersfeld
Photos in Bad HersfeldSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 104 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 79 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 62 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rhön Intro, 48 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Butzbach Intro, 35 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Offenbach Intro, 24 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gelnhausen Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grünberg Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lich Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue