"Duisburg - Where the Ruhr kisses the Rhein" Duisburg by Weissdorn
Duisburg Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 409 photos
well, it's not quite that romantic, but Duisburg is nicer than it's reputation.
What is it's reputation?
Back in the late 70's early 80's Duisburg was a proletariat city, known for two things: coal and steel.
They even did a long series of television programs, with a very brutal, but soft-hearted, good-looking police detective named Horst Schimanski, as the series was called, "Schimanski", who was portrayed by the famous German actor, Götz George.
But Duisburg is neither the stinking coal pot, nor the dangerous criminal pit, that was depicted by "Schimanski".
For a large German city, Duisburg is surprising, because it's relatively clean compared to other German cities, especially the main train station, doesn't have any of the low-life that usually hangs around these places.
But Duisburg, like other large cities that were based on the Industrial Era, doesn't have a lot of tourism attractions compared to other German Metropoles.
Still, if you can spare the time to come here, there are quite a number of places and nearby places that you would most surely enjoy.
- Pros:Affordable Housing, Friendly People
- Cons:Very Post-Industrialised
- In a nutshell:Take away the industry, and you have a nice town
I had to laugh when I found out what the building used to be used for before it was a museum. It used to be a indoor... more travel advice
Near the University of Duisburg on the Kaiserberg, they have some lovely botanical gardens. The gardens have been here... more travel advice
Weissdorn's Related Pages
Duisburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Surprising Ruhrpot"
- "Challenger's Duisburg Pages"
- "Don't diss Duisburg!"
- "Living in Duisburg"
- "Duisburg - Europe's biggest inland port!"
- "Duisburg...where the whales live...."
- "Duisburg - Where the Ruhr kisses the Rhein"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Duisburg
- Hotels in Duisburg
- Transportation in Duisburg
- Nightlife in Duisburg
- Restaurants in Duisburg
- Shopping in Duisburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Duisburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Duisburg
- 7 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Duisburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Duisburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 104 reviews, 119 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 79 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 62 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rhön Intro, 48 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Butzbach Intro, 35 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fulda Intro, 19 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Offenbach Intro, 24 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gelnhausen Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Grünberg Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lich Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue