"Isla de Lanzarote" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote by nigelw6443
Isla de Lanzarote Travel Guide: 877 reviews and 1,786 photos
Lanzarote is 200km (124mi) north-east of Gran Canaria, and approximately 100km (60 mi) east of the African coast.
It hardly ever rains on Lanzarote, so all the water you wash in is likely to be desalinated sea water. It is advisable not to drink the water but it is okay to brush your teeth from the tap.
Due to the lack of rain it is an incredibly dry place, and at first glance may not appear to offer much, as there is not too much greenery, but the entire island is in fact a Biosphere Reserve.
There are three main resorts on the island, Arrecife, the capital, Puerto del Carmen and Costa Teguise. The latter both being more or less completely tourist orientated with the usual bars and cafes along the beach promenades. Arrecife the capital, is where the locals go to shop and it is less touristy.
Lanzarote, you will notice is also very windy and not too long ago was once a windsurfers paradise. Now more of a tourist location but the resorts have many surf shops and schools and still gets an international selection of windsurfers.
I stayed in Costa Teguise which is basically a resort built totally for tourism. Although it is a resort, there are only a handful of large resort type hotels and none are high rise. The rest being mainly apartment accomodation.
The resort maintains a typical Canarian style with most buildings being no more than two storeys with whitewashed walls with the typical arabic type chimney and wooden doors and shutters.
There are three sandy beaches the main one being Playa de las Cucharas. Here you will find the sea promenade along with a few bars and shops.
- Pros:Small enough to see the sites in a few days and then time to relax
- Cons:Can get very windy
- In a nutshell:Definately worth a visit
In the C.C. Las Cucharas there are several bars that overlook the square and the beach. The menu's are almost the same... more travel advice
This is a nice bar with plenty of outdoor seating. Prices were quite a bit higher than at Chispas just across the sqaure... more travel advice
nigelw6443's Related Pages
Isla de Lanzarote Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hola Amigos!"
- "Isla de Lanzarote"
- "The Colors of Lanzarote: piku's memory card"
- "Rachel suns Lanzarote page"
- "Isla de Lanzarote"
- "Lanzarote Beach Guide"
- "Lanzarote - all year sunshine (usually!)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla de Lanzarote
- Hotels in Isla de Lanzarote
- Transportation in Isla de Lanzarote
- Nightlife in Isla de Lanzarote
- Restaurants in Isla de Lanzarote
- Shopping in Isla de Lanzarote
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla de Lanzarote
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla de Lanzarote
- 38 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Isla de Lanzarote?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla de Lanzarote
Photos in Isla de LanzaroteSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 116 reviews, 111 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 43 reviews, 38 photos
- Malta Intro, 38 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 33 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 38 reviews, 35 photos
- Cala Millor Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benidorm Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Majorca Island Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Turkey Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Thailand Intro, 15 reviews, 13 photos