Namib-Naukluft Park Warnings Or Dangers Tips by nigelw6443 Top 5 Page for this destination
Namib-Naukluft Park Warnings and Dangers: 9 reviews and 15 photos
A night time visitor!
Of course there are Scorpions, sometimes you might even see one!
Around Namib Desert Lodge there were quite a few seen. Just before dusk they come out to feed. But generally they are not harmful unless of course you do not take care with either handling or checking your shoes in the morning! Another safeguard which I discovered at another lodge was using a towel or something to block the crack under the door.(I know they don't always build with such standards as Europe or N.America.
Two types, the Yellow and the larger Black Scorpion.
At another lodge just outside Etosha I had a Yellow Scorpion in my room and we had the towel wrapped sandbank in front of the door,but that's another story...
The deadly Puff Adder!
This always gets peoples attention!
Yes you are in a desert with rocky areas and scrubland, this is a prime location for certain types of snake such as the Puff Adder, Cape Cobra, Sidewinder etc but the chances of seeing a snake aren't common. Obviously if you go looking the chances are you will find ie by looking under rocks, logs etc.,
Our guide has lived in Namibia all her life and she has only come across a House Snake which is not poisonous and once on a safari a tourist pointed out a Puff Adder next to the trail.
If you stick to paths and trails you will be fine as any snake will usually flee when feeling the vibrations from your footsteps.
Most snakes that bite don't even inject venom it's more of a warning. But in this region you may come across the Puff Adder. These fat, sluggish snakes are highly venomous and they are too slow to flee but don't get too close as they have a lightening bite and most snake bites reported in Namibia are of the Puff Adder kind.
More Reviews (31)
nigelw6443's Related Pages
Namib-Naukluft Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Namib Naukluft N.P."
- "Oops, I got myself a new addiction - DESERTS ..."
- "Namib-Naukluft Park"
- "Namib Naukluft Park"
- "The desert that's at the heart of the country"
- "Vast Dry Plain, The Namib"
- "Fabulous Dunes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Namib-Naukluft Park
- Hotels in Namib-Naukluft Park
- Transportation in Namib-Naukluft Park
- Nightlife in Namib-Naukluft Park
- Restaurants in Namib-Naukluft Park
- Shopping in Namib-Naukluft Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Namib-Naukluft Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Areas to Avoid
- Unsafe Areas
- Istanbul Warnings and Dangers
- New Orleans Warnings and Dangers
- Rio de Janeiro Warnings and Dangers
- Dominican Republic Warnings and Dangers
- Safe and less than safe areas
- Bangkok Warnings and Dangers
- New York City Warnings and Dangers
- Punta Cana Warnings and Dangers
- Altitude Sickness - Soroche
Badges & Stats in Namib-Naukluft Park
- 33 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Namib-Naukluft Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Namib-Naukluft Park
Photos in Namib-Naukluft ParkSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berlin Intro, 116 reviews, 111 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 43 reviews, 38 photos
- Malta Intro, 38 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namib-Naukluft Park Intro, 33 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 38 reviews, 35 photos
- Cala Millor Intro, 18 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benidorm Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Majorca Island Intro, 18 reviews, 16 photos
- Turkey Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Thailand Intro, 15 reviews, 13 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (29)
Latest Namib-Naukluft Park hotel reviews
- Kulala Desert Lodge
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2013
- Buellsport Guest Farm
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Sesriem Rest Camp
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Rostock Ritz
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Namib Desert Lodge
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 11, 2013
- A Little Sossus Lodge
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013