"The Namib Naukluft N.P." Top 5 Page for this destination Namib-Naukluft Park by nigelw6443

Namib-Naukluft Park Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 405 photos

Unbelievable!

I had seen pictures, read vt pages and seen the odd documentary but to actually drive through the park is something else. Most people would think that the Sossusvlei and Sesriem is it, but the day after our trip to Sossusvlei we were going in and out of the park all day on our way to Swakopmund and it just gives you an impression of how large the park is and the diverse landscapes it covers.

Not surprisingly the park is actually one of the largest National parks in Africa at close to 50,000 sq. km and covers a vast area of the Namib Desert and Naukluft Mountains and is home to some very rare flora and fauna including the rare Hartmanns Mountain Zebra and the weird Welwitschia Mirabilis plant.

The park is a combined area of the Namib Desert Park, the Nauklauft Mountain Zebra Park and to the south some parts of the Diamond Area.

Because of the size of the park you will find an incredible diversity in scenery, from the famous red dunes to the moon landscape and vast open plains.

• Last visit to Namib-Naukluft Park: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 28, 2006

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Happy birthday, Nigel. Interesting tips about the wildlife and dune-climbing. Sounds like you had a really good tour.

• awladhassan's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2007 at 11:49 PM

Amazing page. We've had encounters with snakes and scorpions. You tend to become rather blase after a few years. But when watering the garden i just missed being hit in the eye by a spitting cobra's venom., it wasn't so funny!

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2007 at 6:41 AM

Great page Nigel! Must have been an amazing tour!

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2007 at 9:02 AM

These are great detailed tips, I have only ever flown via Namibia so perhaps one of these days I'll visit thanks for sharing :-)

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2006 at 3:00 PM

Excellent tips! Hopefully I won't run into puff adders if I visit; I've got a snake phobia!

• CeciliaL's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 10:14 PM

Great tips!! Nice picture with the beer, hahahaha....

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 3:07 AM

Looks like you had a great time in Namibia! Perhaps one too many G"n"T's" required to spot the spotted owl in that tree! (Just kidding.) Anne and I are off to Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania on March 1st...Can't wait to return to Africa.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2006 at 1:42 PM

Great page, reminds me wonderful time. G & T’s in the desert, ha ha, did you have ice?

• Acirfa's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2006 at 4:00 AM

informative tips. The tight tipper story amused me, we get them the world round don't we.

nigelw6443

“It's not that life is too short but death is too long. Live and enjoy every moment!”

Badges & Stats in Namib-Naukluft Park

Have you been to Namib-Naukluft Park?

Latest Activity in Namib-Naukluft Park