"Yasmina travels" yas2's Profile

South America: here I go...

hello

well after more than a year preparing this trip I am finally almost ready.
I am leaving the 2nd for santiago de chile!
I will update this website with my travel experiences of the following four months so that you will feel that you are travelling with me!

désolé les mecs, il va falloir suivre en anglais :-) de facon à ce que mes copains espagnols et mexicains puissent suivre...

06-12-03.

you can read the first chapter of our adventure on the chile travelpage.

12-12-03

isabelle and i are today in puerto natales chile. we are back to civilization after 4 days of trekking in the national park torres del paine.
it was great, and we are going tomorrow to calafate argentina.
we will describe in details our adventures when we are back in santiago aroung christmas day.

15-12-03

well, we are back to chile after two days in argentina.
we loved it, especially the argentinian sense of humour, so funny!!
we went to see the perito moreno which is the third biggest ice surface in the world after south and north pole.
we did a trekking on the iceblock it was so BEAUTIFUL!
I swear pictures will follow real soon.
It was as being on another planet.
we are leaving for punta arenas in one hour.

17-12-03

We are in punta arenas, we are having a rest here before leaving to puerto montt. we went to isla magdalena yesterday to meet a colony of penguins. it was really funny, they happen to be so small finally.
an we took advantage of today to visit the city and learn a little bit more about the colonization of patagonia and the indians that used to live here. it is so interesting. Imagine this region has been occupied only for a hundred years (except from the indians of course).

22-02-03

we are in san carlos de bariloche, argentina after a few days in the lake district in chile. we have been to chiloe island beautiful island where it rains a lot so it looks like bretagne or galicia.
then we went to puerto montt and made a day trip with a tour to visit some falls and see some lakes. we were not lucky because it did not stop raining the whole day.

we crosssed the border today and even if we planned to send christmas in villarica we are now stuck in argentina because there is no bu until the 25th.
it does delay us a little bit but it will be ok!
so we just have to find sone new argentinian friends before tomorrow to spend christmas eve with them.
lets work on it.... :-)

I will have a special taught for all of you tomorrow, merry christmas.

07-01-04

Happy new year, feliz ano nuevo, bonne annee.

we are still in santiago with a little bit of delay according to the original plan.
we went to valparaiso for new year and did stay few days at the beach, it was great.
we are taking advantage of some days of relax in santiago before going on the road again.
next stop san pedro de atacama, north of chile.

12-01-04

well we finally had the courage to leave santiago and our friends to go on the road again.
First stop: the desert of atacama north of chile.
we went to calama first and to chqui camata mine. It is the biggest sky open mine in the world. They produce cober, chile is the first producer. It was impressive and now we know so much more about exctractions etc..... :-)
from there we went to San Pedro de Atacama. It is a small village that looks so much like south of Morroco that I really felt at home.
We visited the moon valley (it really looks like what we can imagine of the moon), the salt desert and its flamingoes, and today we did visit the geysers of El Tatio.
Everything was incredible. I highly recomend it.

PERU

HELLO

We finally left chile for peru. It is quite a change.. a lot pooree and insecure but also a lot more culture and indian people. it does look more like the idea that we european have of latin america.

17-01-04

We arrived in arequipa after more than 17 hours of bus from san pedro de atacama.
Arequipa is a beautiful colonial town with a lot of things to see and especially the santa catalina convent, whch is so big that it is a town in the town. There the nuns used to live ( and still live in part of it) in a total reclusionbut in surprising rich and agradable conditions. It is impressive.
After the visit of arequipa we decided that we should do a little bit more sport and we went for a 3 days trekkinh in the colca canyon. it is twce as deep as the colorado canyon and we went up and down with our small little feets.
well I can tell you it hurts, but it was worth it, there was beautiful views, we slept in very small villages without electricity or hot water and the people were very welcoming.
tonight we are heading to cusco.

20-01-04

We have been in cuzco since two days now.
It is great, it is a very touristical town but we have some friends living here which does actually make it very welcoming, we are partying a little bit at last!
The town itself is beautiful with a lot of churches and history. cuzco is the inca empire capital. There is a lot of old inca temples around here and we already visited two of them. From the architectural point of view we are a little bit disappointed since we have seen the wonderful maya and azteque pyramids and temples. But those inca temples are still in beautiful sights and there is a lot of mistery about them since we do not know exactly how they were able to build them.
The day after tomorrow we are going to machu pichu. Since it is raining all the time we decided to do the 2 days treking instead of the 4 days, bad timing it is winter here!
The real inca trail will be for another time I amd afraid...

24-01-03

We are leaving cusco in direction of the Titicaca lake.
The inca trail was great. The good thing about it is that we arrived in the morning to see the Machu Pichu really early. We woke up at 4 AM and begin walking in the dark.
The groups of tourist arrive around 10 AM so it leaves you some time to anjoy the site with fewer people. That was particularly good since it began raining from 10 o clock without stoping for the rest of the day.
This inca site is really extraordinary it is a whole city and its position between mountains makes it really incredible.

BOLIVIA

24-01-03

Our first idea was to stay in puno peru and go to visit some islands in the titica lake from there.
Well we realized at first sight that we would not like to stay the night in Puno and we decided to pass the border with bolivia.
copacabana on the other side of the border is a much nicer city. quite cut actually!
from there we went to visit the sun island which is a nice island on the lake with very small and quite vilages.

26-01-03

we arrived in La Paz , a very strange city. not especially nice a mix of very poor and very rich side by side.
we stayed at one of my friends place so we had a great guide and the opportunity to rest a little bit.

29-01-03

we are in Uyuni after an awful trip in bus, the worst so far. It was 10 hours by night in a bus more than full, without toilets. and you need to know that there are almost no road in bolivia so it was a dirt track. We just could not sleep.
Uyuni is a very small town but you have to pass here to go to the salt desert. So that is our plan from tomorrow.

02-02-04

well here we are back from 4 days of trek full of dust but it was amazing really! since it is the rain season we had wonderful reflections in the salar and we also saw flamingoes, lagunas with beautiful colours! now we are heading directly to argentina tonight, in train thank god I could not be in a bolivian bus again for a long time.

bon anniversaire nicolas soubabeyre!!!!!!!

ARGENTINA

Well I ahve not been writing for quite a long time since I came back to santiagoand did nothing special other than relax for a while.
but now I am on the road again...

25/02

First of all many thanks to all you that sent me a mail for ny birthday. it was nice.

I am discovering buenos aires now. it is a huge city always on the move}, it does remind me of paris in a way.
yesterday, it was carnaval. nothing to do I am sure with brazilian one but it was quite nice with the music on the streets.

BRAZIL

05-03-04

Well, well..finally I am in brazil..yeah!It is warm, nice and I swim everyday, finally some beaches after 3 months travelling.
I met my mum and brother in rio this week and we visited rio, the corcovado, the center of the city that has surprinsingly old mansions...
Almost everyone is dressing casual , the swiming suit is the dressing code here.
Ipanema beach is great and so is the shopping here, it is inexpensive compared to france and it is the sales also.
I ahve to leave and do some shopping... :-)

16-03-04

the sun, the white sand, some beautiful beches.. I am finally home...
after having visited belem, salvador and iguazu ( all of those cities are actually so amazing and so different one from the other), I am in Maceio, relaxing and having some fun before going to the cold winter of europe.
this is really what I call holiday..at last!!

• Intro Updated Mar 16, 2004

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2005 at 7:12 AM

Hi Yasmina! Hope you have a Happy Happy Birthday and the coming year will be your Best Ever! Greetings & Best Wishes from North Carolina! ;-)

• chancay's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2005 at 10:23 PM

Hi Yasmina! Feliz Cumple! I wish you a great day!!

• maysue's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2005 at 7:23 PM

Happy Birthday! May you have 365 days of travelogues to share with us. From May Su from Malaysia

• Feb 22, 2004 at 12:24 AM

Hi Yasmina. Happy Birthday to you and many happy returns of the day . Enjoy your special day :-)

• Feb 21, 2004 at 8:40 PM

Yasimina, many many happy returns of the day. Wishing you a happy birthday. Wishing you all the best for the future and have a great birthday bash.

• Feb 16, 2004 at 1:59 AM

Hola preciosas! Gracias por la "dédicace" y por vivir este viaje por distancia. Me tarda con ver las fotos. Suerte por el resto y hasta pronto. Grosses bises and see u soon Nicolas Soubabère (avec un "è" comme dans réverbère ;-))

• Jan 13, 2004 at 1:36 AM

Hi! It looks like you´re having a great time. Looking at all the beautiful photos helps me get through this boring day at work :-) Bises Katrin

• GrantBoone's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2004 at 4:38 AM

Have a great trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dec 29, 2003 at 9:03 AM

Salut traveler! How were the Xmas days in Argentina? Nice to follow your wanderings via this site lady! Let us know where and with whom you will be spending New Year's eve! **Best wishes for 2004** Bises, Femke

• Dec 23, 2003 at 3:35 AM

Coucou ! Heureuse d'avoir eu des nouvelles de toi ! Joyeux Noël, en Argentine finalement (c'est cool dans ce genre de voyages, on peut tjs changer d'avis) ! Alors ces ami(e)s Argentins vous les avez trouvé ??? Gros Bisous, La Mimi de Yas !

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!