"Heidenheim an der Brenz - a nice swab town" Heidenheim an der Brenz by MEdelmann

Heidenheim an der Brenz Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 29 photos

In April 1999 I went to the nice town of Heidenheim an der Brenz, to visit Klaus Winter and his family. At the moment he is not a VT-member.

Klaus and I are good friends and we share a hobby together: We like listen to remote radio station around the globe on shortwave and medium wave. His father, Erwin has been a shortwave listener for more than 30 years. So we had interesting discussions ..... :-) Please look into my travelouge about the Winter family.

Heidenheim is located about 20 kilometres north of Ulm in Germany´s federal country Baden-Württemberg. It is the town of the same named "Landkreis" (country circle or district?) and there live about 20.000 people.

Nice buildings ....

There are some beautiful buildings in the town centre, like the "Altes Eichamt" (old gouge office), the old town hall, or the "Türmle" (little tower). Unfortuneatly many buildings where destroyed in World War II by the allied troups.

A busy town ...

There live a lot of Swabs in Heidenheim. The Swabs are well known to be busy.... :-) And of course Heidenheim has some big well known companies, for example "Voith" , which produces turbines, or "Plancfort". They produce bandages.

So, if you are in Ulm, visit this town. It is really nice.

I want to thank Klaus for guiding me through his home town and the hospitality.

• Last visit to Heidenheim an der Brenz: Apr 1999
  • Intro Written Oct 12, 2002

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2009 at 1:51 AM

beautiful city , I have not yet visited because it is far from Strasbourg for a one day trip with the deutsche bahn

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2004 at 9:48 AM

Finest idyllic Germany in this beautiful little town!! Great page!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2003 at 12:45 PM

Although I live in Baden_Württemberg, I have not even heard of this place! Lovely page, Manfred! "Knödel" could best be translated as "dumplings".

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2003 at 9:51 AM

Schloss Hellenstein looks very nice. The town looks like it's from the past! I like short wave too! Knöpfle sounds quite tasty!! Very nice page!!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2003 at 7:05 PM

I was taken to Ulm for a day trip but didn't know about this place - what a shame. Wonderful castle and great position. How great to hear the short wave radio shows.

• besbel's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2003 at 4:50 PM

Seems to me like a romantic place still in the medieval times. Great pics and info!

• seamandrew's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2003 at 7:09 PM

I believe the English word for Knoedl is dumpling.

• Procaccini's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2003 at 6:39 AM

Lovely pictures and interesting page: until now I didnt know even the existence of this city ! Thanks Manfred!

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2003 at 9:08 AM

quite a hiddne gem off the beaten path. Thanks for sharing!

• siwi's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2003 at 12:21 AM

Good idea! I never been there!

MEdelmann

“Enjoy your life ....”

Badges & Stats in Heidenheim an der Brenz

Have you been to Heidenheim an der Brenz?