"The Land of the Morning Calm" South Korea by MEdelmann

South Korea Travel Guide: 6,464 reviews and 17,379 photos

WELCOME TO KOREA !

Korea is one of the most underrated countries in Asia. I could not understand why, but when you ask someone about this lovely country, they have no idea about it.

The only thing they know is that it is a devided country (into communist North and capitalist South) and that it is the home of Samsung, Daewoo & Co.... But many people will never get the idea to travel here ....

Many people have a uncomplete or even wrong picture about Korea. Korea is not just a copy of China or Japan, Korea has its own culture and if you have explored it once you will see that it differs more than you first believed and maybe you will also fall in love with Korea, like I did ...

I also didn´t know much about Korea. And I also was not interested in it .... But it changed when I put on my radio reciever. I had tuned the shortwave and I was looking for a german-speaking station. After a while I found a station. There was speaking a nice female voice about the economy in Korea. First I thought I catched a german station. But I was surprised when the following announcement came "HIER IST RADIO KOREA INTERNATIONAL IN SEOUL" which means "this is Radio Korea International in Seoul"). I couldn´t believe my ears! I could listen to Radio Korea from Seoul on such a little radio! How exotic and amazing! So I had to try next day and time ... and the station was there ....

In the meanwhile I have collected postcards and presents from radio stations of 70 countries around the world. But I am still listen to RKI. They changed my opinion and my knowledge about Korea so dramatically. And when I was in Korea, they also invited me to come and they took me into the studio for an interview. One of the questions they asked me is if they don´t promise too much on the radio... and I had to negate. It is all true!

If you have ever the chance to make a visit in Korea: Do it! Korea has so much to offer. Although the japanese destroyed very much of the korean cultural heritage, Korea has been busy to restore and reconstruct the old. I personally love Korea and I also have a lot of friends here!

• Pros:Exotic charme, a lot to see and friendly people
  • Cons:They speak less english and touristic infrastructure is not always good
  • In a nutshell:one of the most underrated countries in Asia
  • Intro Updated Jun 19, 2003

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2005 at 6:57 PM

Great page, Manfred, you made me miss Korea! Yup, the most notable mountains are Mt Sorak and Hallasan. They are very beautiful. Glad I went there.

• SiewSian's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2004 at 3:29 AM

Its sound differents you wants us must Do...listen to Radio Korea International. Its new things to me. Will try once I being there.

• grets's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2004 at 1:54 AM

Korea looks like an amazing place to visit, thank you for sharing yout excellent tips and photographs. I hope to be able to visit Korea one day.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2004 at 10:37 PM

fantastic pics, I'll be back for the text, tanx Fred..great read I like it very much, and fine updates Fred^..^

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2003 at 11:32 PM

Your photos show the beauty of this lovely country! And your tips bring back memories of a great trip!

• genome408's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2003 at 12:25 PM

nice page, great info.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2003 at 12:18 PM

Fantastic page! Very good tips with good illustrations! It is true most people in Europe or North America do not know much about Korea. Your page is a great introduction!

• maryamy's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2003 at 10:40 AM

Sounds fascinating here.

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2003 at 9:01 PM

Wonderful page of a very interesting place.. Yes, the weather can sure change once you get to the mountains.. ;-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2003 at 1:46 PM

Great page on South Korea! Very good tips and photos!

MEdelmann

“Enjoy your life ....”

Badges & Stats in South Korea

Have you been to South Korea?

Latest Activity in South Korea