"Steyr" Top 5 Page for this destination Steyr by MEdelmann
Steyr Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 271 photos
I had a wonderful short stay in Steyr on my way to Munich on March 23rd, 2003.
First I didn´t planned to go there because Michael (globetrott) was not here. But then I saw that I have some time and so I decided to go there... and I didn´t regret it !
Steyr is definitely one of Austria' s most beautiful town. The medival town square (Stadtplatz) exisits of gothic, baroque and rococo buildings only and there is not a single modern building in the whole ensemble!
In medival times, Steyr was the only town in Austria that was alowed to produce scyths, knifes and other goods made from iron, which came from the so-called "Erzberg" (iron mountain) which is located in Eisenerz, about 50 km from Steyr.
And the only way to transport this iron through the mountainious landscape of Austria was the river ENNS, which runs to and through Steyr and it enters the river DANUBE a little bit later...
The iron was brought to Steyr, unloaded here and after production all the goods left the town again to be transported in the whole world.
This made Steyr very wealthy .....
All the photos are my own of corse - I have made them with my EOS 300 camera loaded with an Extra colour film.... because I like such colourful photos.
If you need any infos about Steyr, I would recommend you to visit also the Steyr page of Globetrott ..... and I also want to thank him for giving me some infos.
Thank you, Michael!
- Pros:Great magnificant town square !!
- Cons:NONE !!
- In a nutshell:One of the most beautiful towns in Austria!
The parish church was built by Hans Puchsbaum, which was also the architect of the Stephansdom in Vienna. The... more travel advice
Steyr is a town located on the romantic road, which connects Vienna and Salzburg. But it is not the fastest way, but... more travel advice
MEdelmann's Related Pages
Steyr Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Steyr Page"
- "a planned detour I would have never missed..."
- "VT meet in Steyr"
- "HISTORICAL STEYR"
- "Steyr - small town, big architecture"
- "Greg's (gkitzmil's ) Steyr Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Steyr
- Hotels in Steyr
- Transportation in Steyr
- Restaurants in Steyr
- Shopping in Steyr
- Warnings and Dangers in Steyr
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Steyr
- 25 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Steyr?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Steyr
Photos in SteyrSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 54 reviews, 110 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Telc Intro, 44 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bled Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Göttlesbrunn Intro, 33 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Steyr Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos
- Moscow Intro, 22 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Korea Intro, 22 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bordeaux Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reims Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Heidenheim an der Brenz Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues