"Steyr" Top 5 Page for this destination Steyr by MEdelmann

Steyr Travel Guide: 137 reviews and 271 photos

I had a wonderful short stay in Steyr on my way to Munich on March 23rd, 2003.

First I didn´t planned to go there because Michael (globetrott) was not here. But then I saw that I have some time and so I decided to go there... and I didn´t regret it !

Steyr is definitely one of Austria' s most beautiful town. The medival town square (Stadtplatz) exisits of gothic, baroque and rococo buildings only and there is not a single modern building in the whole ensemble!

In medival times, Steyr was the only town in Austria that was alowed to produce scyths, knifes and other goods made from iron, which came from the so-called "Erzberg" (iron mountain) which is located in Eisenerz, about 50 km from Steyr.

And the only way to transport this iron through the mountainious landscape of Austria was the river ENNS, which runs to and through Steyr and it enters the river DANUBE a little bit later...

The iron was brought to Steyr, unloaded here and after production all the goods left the town again to be transported in the whole world.

This made Steyr very wealthy .....

All the photos are my own of corse - I have made them with my EOS 300 camera loaded with an Extra colour film.... because I like such colourful photos.

If you need any infos about Steyr, I would recommend you to visit also the Steyr page of Globetrott ..... and I also want to thank him for giving me some infos.

Thank you, Michael!

• Pros:Great magnificant town square !!
  • Cons:NONE !!
  • In a nutshell:One of the most beautiful towns in Austria!
  • Intro Updated Jun 19, 2003

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2008 at 5:40 AM

The former capital of Austria is a great place to visit. I was there just 2 months ago. Inlucky not such a beautiful weather as you had. Great tips, info and definately great pictures!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2005 at 5:10 AM

Thank you for visiting my Carcassonne pages. Totally awesome pages on Steyr Manfred, especially the Gothic houses and The Stalzerhaus. Brilliant, vivid colours in your pics. Dim Sum & Gosser Beer -- Yum. Lori.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2004 at 1:36 PM

An excellent page and brilliant pics about my hometown !

• dannebro's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2003 at 4:37 PM

Steyr ist immer einen Besuch wert !

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2003 at 12:42 PM

Fantastic !!! I loved the look of Sternhouse:))

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2003 at 2:37 AM

Your colorful pics are amazing. Great page and good info

• dinhyen's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2003 at 11:30 AM

Yes, blue sky seems to follow you where you go. Another picture-perfect town. I can't believe I missed it! By the way, at one of the place where I went skiing, the ski lift is made in Austria! Lots of Chrysler cars have the "made in Austria" sticker too.

• DrewV's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2003 at 12:06 PM

Lovely town -- who would have known? It's nice to know that Austria has so much to offer!

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2003 at 4:20 AM

I am sure that it is a good idea to see Steyr if in the area......thank you for your beautiful pics and good information.

• Astralka's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2003 at 10:54 AM

I wonder where did you get that blue sky from ! the same in Telc ! I wish you carried this background all the way to Brno )

MEdelmann