"Brookgreen Gardens" Pawleys Island by Kentbein

Pawleys Island Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 69 photos

A well kept secret

BROOKGREEEN GARDENS
During the summer of 2003, my family and I visited some friends who had moved to Georgetown, South Carolina. During our stay, our friends took us to Brookgreen Gardens, a beautiful wildlife sanctuary and sculpture gardens set on 9100 acres of Carolina Lowcountry in what had been, prior to 1865, four rice plantations. I had never heard of the Gardens before, and after visiting this outstanding place, I am amazed that I have not heard of it. The facility is truly magnificent, with over five hundred sculptures from the greatest American sculptors, sighted throughout a meticulously kept landscape.

My friend Robert, and Philip.

When I returned to the DC area, I began asking friends if they had ever heard of Brookgreen. I found very few of my architectural and even landscape architect friends here have ever heard of this place. In fact, only one had, Harriett Ross. Harriett is one of my favorite co-workers and excellent architect. She is a native of South Carolina and is familiar with Brookgreen, although she has never been there. No other friends in my architectural/Landscape Architect community were familiar with Brookgreen.

Brookgreen doesn’t seem to advertise itself, or at least, it does not advertise very well, especially considering that it is accredited by the American Association of Museums, The American Zoo and Aquarium Association, and is a member of the American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta . It is highly worth the visit to this spectacular sculpture garden though, if you are anywhere near Georgetown or Pawley’s Island South Carolina. It is truly an amazing and very well kept secret.

• Pros:beautiful gardens and sculture exhibits.
  • Cons:Heat and mosquitoes in summer.
  • Last visit to Pawleys Island: Aug 2003
  • Intro Written Sep 22, 2003

Kentbein

“laissez les bons temps rouler”

Badges & Stats in Pawleys Island

Have you been to Pawleys Island?

Latest Activity in Pawleys Island