"Brookgreen Gardens" Pawleys Island by Kentbein
Pawleys Island Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 69 photos
During the summer of 2003, my family and I visited some friends who had moved to Georgetown, South Carolina. During our stay, our friends took us to Brookgreen Gardens, a beautiful wildlife sanctuary and sculpture gardens set on 9100 acres of Carolina Lowcountry in what had been, prior to 1865, four rice plantations. I had never heard of the Gardens before, and after visiting this outstanding place, I am amazed that I have not heard of it. The facility is truly magnificent, with over five hundred sculptures from the greatest American sculptors, sighted throughout a meticulously kept landscape.
When I returned to the DC area, I began asking friends if they had ever heard of Brookgreen. I found very few of my architectural and even landscape architect friends here have ever heard of this place. In fact, only one had, Harriett Ross. Harriett is one of my favorite co-workers and excellent architect. She is a native of South Carolina and is familiar with Brookgreen, although she has never been there. No other friends in my architectural/Landscape Architect community were familiar with Brookgreen.
Brookgreen doesn’t seem to advertise itself, or at least, it does not advertise very well, especially considering that it is accredited by the American Association of Museums, The American Zoo and Aquarium Association, and is a member of the American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta . It is highly worth the visit to this spectacular sculpture garden though, if you are anywhere near Georgetown or Pawley’s Island South Carolina. It is truly an amazing and very well kept secret.
- Pros:beautiful gardens and sculture exhibits.
- Cons:Heat and mosquitoes in summer.
Kentbein's Related Pages
Pawleys Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brookgreen Gardens"
- "allenkite's new Pawleys Island Page"
- "A little R & R in Pawleys Island"
- "Pawleys Island---Southern Charm"
- "userrocky118's new Pawleys Island Page"
- "Home of the rope hammock"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pawleys Island
- Hotels in Pawleys Island
- Nightlife in Pawleys Island
- Restaurants in Pawleys Island
- Shopping in Pawleys Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pawleys Island
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Pawleys Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pawleys Island
Photos in Pawleys IslandSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 149 reviews, 158 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 64 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 69 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Virginia Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- New York City Intro, 23 reviews, 25 photos
- Brookhaven Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Georgetown Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Philadelphia Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos