"Kentbein's new Virginia Page" Virginia by Kentbein

Virginia Travel Guide: 7,544 reviews and 17,973 photos

Northern Virginia

I live approximately 30 miles outside washington, dc in a nice, pastoral, village in the heart of Virginia horse country. It's been interesting finding myself in this new environment, as i'm not an equestrian. The world revolves around horses where I now live, so it's an interesting change for me. I think I would have liked growing up around these animals, and I do like the village's people. It's refreshing being away from the congestion of the city, even with the long commute into work each day. Driving home through Virginia countryside certainly makes the time spent worthwhile.

I moved to Washington DC in the year 1980 after graduating from university in architecture. I worked for some private companies for eleven years, then spent eight years working as an architect for the government on the renovation of the Pentagon, just across the Potomac River from DC. Most of my Virginia page will be an insider's look at the construciton renovation of this little "city".

Besides its notoriety, the Pentagon is an interesting building and unique piece of architecture. It is a small city inside five very long walls. My favorite part of the job was being project manager for the roof replacement and after that pm for one of the areas below the first floor level.

Take the tours that are offered if you have a chance. The building itself is not exactly beautiful, but it is definitely interesting.

Virginia's economic wealth is astounding. The budget here in this one state exceeds that of most of the world's nations. I find that unbelievable and amazing. That available capital provides for loads and loads of community services. Parks are abundant and very nice places to visit. Skyline Drive and the Shennedoah Valley are outstanding. Hunters (I'm not) are in heaven, and culture is abundant.

Don't miss the Chesapeake Bay. Great food. Great sailing. Interesting history, and if you have time, get out to Virginia's horse country. You'll love the rolling hills, stone walls that line our roadsides, and the wildlife. I'm always seeing deer, owls, fox, groundhogs, eagles and hawks, and in the evenings hear some incredibly strange, wild animals I can only imagine what they must be. Whatever they are, the have a LOT of energy!!!

Welcome to Virginia when you come. It's interesting being near Washington DC, visit Alexandria, and do take the time to drive towards the Shennedoah Valley in horse and wine country. The vineyard at Linden, Virginia is a real treat, so do stop in and enjoy the Virginia mountainside, too. Feel free to ask me for specific recommendations if you like and I'll be happy to tell you what i know and recommend other knowledgable help if you like. email me at kentbein@cox.net for better response time, as I don't check VT as regularly as I once did, I'm afraid.

Happy travels!!

• Intro Updated Sep 12, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 5:10 AM

Hi, Kent! Your backyard is enchanting! I would like to revisit Virginia some day and to see my friend Dorothy again...

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2008 at 3:32 AM

beautiful home - great way to spend day of independence - watching the upcoming elections with interest ;-)))

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2006 at 8:45 PM

How weird is this? I spent a year trying to get furniture contracts secured for this project.OHHH, and by the way, me and "Buggs" wanna come over and go swimming...lol~

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2004 at 11:42 AM

I see fantastic and very unique page. Great to see your family, dog, place and Pentagon!!! Your backyard looks great and very relaxing in the evening and in spring. Are you there now? Greetings from Poland looking eastwards now!

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2004 at 5:23 PM

What a interesing page about your renovations work at Pentagon,but I specially love your family pictures,your kids looks so cute!!!!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2004 at 5:56 AM

Don't apologize for including your back yard...I love seeing where everyone spends time and what other areas of the country really look like. . . other than the monuments and "great tourist attractions".

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2003 at 8:38 AM

You spelled your boy's name right--good for you. Lots of people seem to think Philip should have two Ls, but it's much classier with one.

• skye820's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2003 at 9:07 AM

Beautiful pictures of your family, Kent!

• Aug 7, 2003 at 12:13 AM

Excellant page with lots of useful information, nice tips and beautiful phtographs..Many many happy returns of the day.Wishing you a happy birthday.Hope you will have a nice time today..

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2003 at 9:25 AM

Hi Kent & Joyce ,I really enjoyed seeing your family's pictures ,Joyce & Lindsey & Philip look so very nice , and also your pic's of the Pentagon restoration are wonderful ,great page Kent

Kentbein Used To Live Here!

Kentbein

“laissez les bons temps rouler”

Badges & Stats in Virginia

Have you been to Virginia?