"Kentbein's new Virginia Page" Virginia by Kentbein
Virginia Travel Guide: 7,861 reviews and 19,127 photos
I live approximately 30 miles outside washington, dc in a nice, pastoral, village in the heart of Virginia horse country. It's been interesting finding myself in this new environment, as i'm not an equestrian. The world revolves around horses where I now live, so it's an interesting change for me. I think I would have liked growing up around these animals, and I do like the village's people. It's refreshing being away from the congestion of the city, even with the long commute into work each day. Driving home through Virginia countryside certainly makes the time spent worthwhile.
I moved to Washington DC in the year 1980 after graduating from university in architecture. I worked for some private companies for eleven years, then spent eight years working as an architect for the government on the renovation of the Pentagon, just across the Potomac River from DC. Most of my Virginia page will be an insider's look at the construciton renovation of this little "city".
Besides its notoriety, the Pentagon is an interesting building and unique piece of architecture. It is a small city inside five very long walls. My favorite part of the job was being project manager for the roof replacement and after that pm for one of the areas below the first floor level.
Take the tours that are offered if you have a chance. The building itself is not exactly beautiful, but it is definitely interesting.
Virginia's economic wealth is astounding. The budget here in this one state exceeds that of most of the world's nations. I find that unbelievable and amazing. That available capital provides for loads and loads of community services. Parks are abundant and very nice places to visit. Skyline Drive and the Shennedoah Valley are outstanding. Hunters (I'm not) are in heaven, and culture is abundant.
Don't miss the Chesapeake Bay. Great food. Great sailing. Interesting history, and if you have time, get out to Virginia's horse country. You'll love the rolling hills, stone walls that line our roadsides, and the wildlife. I'm always seeing deer, owls, fox, groundhogs, eagles and hawks, and in the evenings hear some incredibly strange, wild animals I can only imagine what they must be. Whatever they are, the have a LOT of energy!!!
Welcome to Virginia when you come. It's interesting being near Washington DC, visit Alexandria, and do take the time to drive towards the Shennedoah Valley in horse and wine country. The vineyard at Linden, Virginia is a real treat, so do stop in and enjoy the Virginia mountainside, too. Feel free to ask me for specific recommendations if you like and I'll be happy to tell you what i know and recommend other knowledgable help if you like. email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for better response time, as I don't check VT as regularly as I once did, I'm afraid.
My new digs. Loved the countryside and was fortunate enough to find this wonderful, stone house built in 1817. I'm... more travel advice
The site where the Pentagon is constructed was known as Hell's Bottom, a flood plain adjacent to the Potomac River. more travel advice
Kentbein's Related Pages
Virginia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Virginia is for lovers!"
- "b1bob personally carries you back to Ol' Virginny"
- "VIRGINIA's northwestern region off the beaten path"
- "Welcome to VIRGINA"
- "The Ole Dominion"
- "Coming Home"
- "Welcome to our Virginia page!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Virginia
- Hotels in Virginia
- Transportation in Virginia
- Nightlife in Virginia
- Restaurants in Virginia
- Shopping in Virginia
- Warnings and Dangers in Virginia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Virginia
- 31 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Virginia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Virginia
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Jean Reno might just get me..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Well, I don't know that 'YOU..."
- Wrote a Review stone houses in Virginia horse country in Virginia Things to Do
- updated a Virginia Travel Page "Kentbein's new Virginia Page"
- Commented on one of b1bob's Virginia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 149 reviews, 158 photos, 4 travelogues
- New Orleans Intro, 64 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 69 reviews, 96 photos, 5 travelogues
- Virginia Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 26 photos
- New York City Intro, 23 reviews, 25 photos
- Brookhaven Intro, 23 reviews, 23 photos
- Georgetown Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Philadelphia Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 18 reviews, 19 photos