"Gold rush Boom Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Nome by extremist

Nome Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 96 photos

Gold Rush Town

I remember growing up in Nome as a kid and having open space to ride my snowmobile. We'd go fishing in the summer time to Council which is 75 miles NE of Nome accessible by dirt road maintained only in the summer time. And I'd go and drill holes in the ocean to catch King Crab. March is a time for the World Famous Iditarod Dog Sled Race which is 1049 miles and takes a musher 9 days to finish. The winters are long and cold, but the summer time months make up for it, long daylight hours and plenty of wildlife to see, Reindeer, Muskox, Moose, fox, wolves, Salmon and berries are plentiful.Nome
Nome Web Cam

Local Mining

sunset in nome alaska looking nw

• Pros:Vast open space, historical background
  • Cons:Remote, Isolated, fresh produce
  • In a nutshell:Come Any time year round
  • Last visit to Nome: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 21, 2008

• Jun 12, 2009 at 12:53 AM

this is just...wonderful...makes me cry:(

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2006 at 7:13 PM

That is some "cabin." It really is in a beautiful place. I love riding trains but I better skip the Last Train to Nowhere, LOL. Thanks for sharing a unique viewpoint of Nome.

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2006 at 8:07 PM

Hi Patty, great page on Nome, and some good photos. I like the idea of that gold panning - pay for my trip ;-)) fergy.

• Rusket's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2005 at 8:07 PM

I want to explore the Seward Peninsula and cross the Bering Strait, and you seem like the person I should ask for advice when I start the planning :-)

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2005 at 10:59 PM

I just love this town, maybe someday I'll make the journey to Council as well....

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2005 at 12:36 AM

Patty, It sounds like your growing up in Nome gave you an adventuresome, happy spirit and a self-sufficiency outlook on life. And you certainly seem to enjoy your experiences. Doug (^_^)

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2005 at 8:00 PM

Patty, Alaska is definitely on our travel list. You're lucky to live in such a beautiful state! We don't look for blueberries, here every summer we look for Saskatoon berries (sort of similar) to make pies mmmm

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2005 at 11:19 PM

i missed it on my previous visit.. but if i'm ever back again....

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2005 at 9:30 AM

Sure looks like a VERY off the beaten path place - and sure looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing, Patty! Have a good New Year!

• Sweetberry1's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2004 at 3:36 AM

This sounds like an incredible place.. Excellent info and lovely photos.

extremist

“Live Life to it`s Fullest”

Badges & Stats in Nome