"I'm from Joisey, you from Joisey?" New Jersey by feline01
New Jersey Travel Guide: 3,839 reviews and 7,382 photos
New Jersey has been the butt of many jokes throughout time. The page title was taken from a skit Joe Piscopo (a true New Jerseyan) did on Saturday Night Live years and years ago. Many, many famous people were molded on NJ soil including Meryl Streep, Frank Sinatra, Bruce Willis, Tom Cruise, Bruce Springsteen, Whitney Houston, Jon BonGiovi, Elisabeth Shue, Martha Stewart, Thomas Edison, etc. Lately, NJ has been famous for the HBO series, The Sopranos. Many natives are upset that their state is depicted as a mafia-infested crime haven. It doesn't bother me in the least. And this is part of the reality of NJ and many other areas on the east coast. I was reading the paper yesterday (6/11/03) and saw that next door to the the laundrymat that we wash our clothes at there was a mafia bust. The bar was the headquarters for some crime families involved in money-laundering, illegal gambling, guns etc.. Mind you, this all took place in a small suburban town less than 2 blocks from its police station.
I was born in New Jersey and lived most of my life here (except for a couple of years living in London). I have a love-hate relationship with the state. It is dirty, crowded, stinky and tacky in many parts. It is also interesting with ocean-mountains-forest-cities-culture and much to see and do all packed into a relatively small area. You can drive from the Northen tip of NJ to the southern tip in a little over 3 hours. New Jersey is often considered the garbage dump between New York City and Philadelphia. It is much more than that. I recommend everyone visit New Jersey and try to eliminate some of those prevailing stereotypes.
One might look at the above photo and think of a tropical island somewhere but it was taken at the Twin Lights Lighthouse in Highlands, NJ looking out at Sandy Hook, NJ. From Sandy Hook, you can see straight into New York Harbor. As a child, we would spend the day at the beach here and I'd be swimming in the Atlantic while looking at the World Trade Center from afar. One of countless memories that I have that involve the WTC.
People who live in NJ are well aware that this rather urbanized state has a large population of squirrels, deer and even bears. What is often surprising is the unexpected wildlife that survives the tough NJ lifestyle like the dolphins off of Cape May and the Pelegrine Falcons who have been living in an office building in downtown Jersey City. Too check out live webfeed of the pelegrine falcon chicks check out: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/peregrinecam/
One doesn' t think of natural beauty when driving through NJ but this photo is of a field of flowers that I pass on my way each Saturday to Merrick Farms, an organic farm in Howell, NJ.
- Pros:Has a heck of a lot crammed into a rather small area.
- Cons:It's New Jersey.
- In a nutshell:Not for the faint-hearted
If you are scared of bad neighborhood, do avoid this place. It is most certainly in a bad neighborhood. But if you're a... more travel advice
Do not bring a lot of luggage unless you want it stolen. Do not leave luggage in car. New Jersey is the land of... more travel advice
- See All Need a break from driving?
- See All Great Italian in a town full of pasta!
- See All Italian Ices
- See All Urban Enterprise Zone
Written Jul 28, 2002
Ringwood State Park
Written Jul 25, 2003
Grounds for Sculpture
feline01's Related Pages
New Jersey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Sweet Home"
- "The Best of New Jersey!"
- "b1bob's New Jersey adventures: a work in progress"
- "NEW JERSEY POTPOURRI"
- "NEW JERSEY"
- "“We’ve all come to look for America”"
- "New Jersey ---- still exploring....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Jersey
- Hotels in New Jersey
- Transportation in New Jersey
- Nightlife in New Jersey
- Restaurants in New Jersey
- Shopping in New Jersey
- Warnings and Dangers in New Jersey
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Jersey
- 140 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 22 Forum posts
- 22 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to New Jersey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Jersey
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: My first child-free trip..."
- Wrote a Review Luggage Storage at Newark Int. Airport in New Jersey What to Pack
- Commented on one of VeronicaG's New Jersey travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "NJ diners: classic roadside food"
- updated a New Jersey Travel Page "I'm from Joisey, you from Joisey?"
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 74 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Jersey Intro, 31 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 28 reviews, 26 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 19 reviews, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 19 photos
- Turkey Intro, 19 reviews, 15 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 20 reviews, 11 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 11 reviews, 10 photos
- Brooklyn Intro, 13 reviews, 8 photos
No friends yet.
Top New Jersey hotels
- Atlantic City Hotels
- 466 Reviews - 913 Photos
- Wildwood Hotels
- 151 Reviews - 229 Photos
- Wildwood Crest Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Cape May Hotels
- 288 Reviews - 488 Photos
- West Atlantic City Hotels
- 1 Review
- Secaucus Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 11 Photos
- South Hackensack Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 4 Photos
- Jersey City Hotels
- 71 Reviews - 183 Photos
- Newark Hotels
- 92 Reviews - 141 Photos
- Weehawken Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Monmouth Beach Hotels
- 1 Review - 3 Photos
- Freehold Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 57 Photos
- Absecon Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Basking Ridge Hotels
- 1 Review
- Morristown Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 14 Photos