Hyderabad Local Custom Tips by alycat Top 5 Page for this destination
Hyderabad Local Customs: 11 reviews and 7 photos
Hyderabad is not limited to just one religion, caste, creed or sect. Hyderabad is a mixture of so many castes and creeds. Considering that in the last 10 years there has not been a disturbing news so far in Hyderabad, it makes it the desirable place to live in India. You have excellent roads as well the worst. You have "Machchar Pahelwan's" as well decent people. But of course, Hyderabad is the place to be if you want to break the rules of the road. One need not worry unnecessarily about what the rules of the road are or what is written on the sign board, people here will do what they please and how they feel. You will definetely lose patience n stamina if you keep haggling with all of them about rules n regulations. Here traffic rules are meant to be followed only in the annually held "Traffic Safety Week" by Traffic Police, otherwise when your on the road ur King.
One finds here that it is always bad manners to keep your feet up in front of elders, never talk loudly infront of them, never smoke and always always call them "Chicha" (Uncle).
In general, Hyderabadi people are considered to be very friendly and hospitable. Infact hospitality is the other name of Hyderabadis. They take pride in talking in their local, typical, and vibrant Hyderabadi language which is a mix of Urdu, Hindi, Telegu, and English.
There is very peculiar tone to all hyderabadi's, be it people talking in Deccani or be it telugu, the states offical language. Some tips bout the language that would be useful for u when on the streets
In Deccani Urdu
Kitne paise hue- HOW MANY RUPEES
Chalte kya- WILL U COME- u will need to ask this specifically to an auto driver
"Potti patana" in Hyderabad means tryin to woo a girl, our Hyderabadi heroes are so romantic at heart that even a glance from their object of attention drives them crazy. It is enough to give them sleepless nights, drive wild on the streets and most definetely throw a party to his coterie of friends. It is the favorite pastime for some while for others it is a fulltime job. A Hyderabadi would try all the tricks in the book and outside the book to get hold of the woman of his dreams. It is more of a culture shock nowadays at most of the hangout in Hyderabad. the scene would put to shame even the most overly romantic French.
Phone: Fone???-Im amused!!!!!!!
Being a Hyderabadi myself i could have gone on and on about the culture, trends and the way people here behave in public, but I would like to concise it and add a few tips for you as a tourist coming to Hyderabad.
Never move around in skimpy clothes in the old city area, as it is more likely to offend people and more importantly u will generate a lot of interest among a lot of them, irrespective of age. Try n avoid smokin in shrines and religious places.
When you are in a hotel ask for mineral water as you are likey to be served tap water most of the time.
Hyderabad has a theater for almost every colony. Most of the movies dont make any sense. Though with the advent of Cable Television, not many families are opting for theaters, there still are some people who have a made it a habit of watching a movie every week irrespective of the star cast, director or banner. Every weekend theaters are full. Hyderabadis have coined choicest phrases such as "Kya Shot hai baap!" for a Van Damme kick. The reason why its popular entertainment is because the maximum ticket rate that you come across would not exceed Rs 40. Mind you the theaters are fully A/C, equipped with latest sound effects, digital sound, and luxury seats.
It always feels nice that someone likes you. Eves dropping (or "light marna") has always been popular in Hyderabad. It has been constant. You will find that at most of the places you will find people staring ogling at ladies (all types) all the time.
The scene has to seen to be believed when there is a ruckus or brawl on the road or on the street. The whole public joins in deciding who was wrong or right. Firstly, they try n understand the situation, then they try n add fuel to fire, then if the fight is not intersting enough, they will try n pacify both the parties and try n wiggle out an amicable solution, which is not always acceptable to both parties.
More Reviews (53)
- See All Sizzling sizzler
- See All Yellow Taxi
- See All US Consulate in Hyderabad
- See All What do you have in mind?
- See All The Nawabs are getting sporty!!
alycat's Related Pages
Hyderabad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hyderabad Hazir Hai!presenting the city of Hyd"
- "I LOVE HYDERABAD"
- "Hyderabad: Of Pearls & Biryani"
- "Hyderabad - MY Home Town"
- "Hyderabad: A City rich In History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hyderabad
- Hotels in Hyderabad
- Transportation in Hyderabad
- Nightlife in Hyderabad
- Restaurants in Hyderabad
- Shopping in Hyderabad
- Warnings and Dangers in Hyderabad
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cochem Hotels
- Henchir Hamrouni Chebika Hotels
- Donji Karanci Hotels
- Province of Aklan Hotels
- Mill Valley
Badges & Stats in Hyderabad
- 58 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Hyderabad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hyderabad
- Posted in Travel Maine Forum "Re: free time - what to see?"
- Commented on one of Donna_in_India's Hyderabad travel pages
- Wrote a Review Sizzling sizzler about Food for an international palate in Hyderabad Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "VT meet in Hyderabad in February"
- created a Hyderabad Travelogue "VT meet in Hyderabad in February"
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 53 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hyderabad Intro, 58 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 34 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Delhi Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 21 reviews, 30 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 17 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alappuzha Intro, 13 reviews, 19 photos
- Kandy Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
- Galle Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pondicherry Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
Latest Hyderabad hotel reviews
- Falcons Nest - Banjara Hills
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2013
- Ebony Boutique Hotel
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- The Grand Solitaire
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Padmini Residency
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 28, 2013
- Minerva Grand Banjara
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2013
- Hotel Mandakini Jaya International
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 7, 2013
- Hotel Anmol Continental
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- The Park Hyderabad
- 237 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Tara Residency
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Hotel Grandeur
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2013
- Hotel Harsha
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 18, 2013
- Stay Inn
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 19, 2013
- Cosy Banjara
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 31, 2012
- One Continent Atria
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 26, 2013
- Parks and Gardens- 14 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Museums- 13 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Husain Sagar Lake- 17 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Ramoji Film City- 6 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Golconda Fort- 8 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Mosque Charminar- 14 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Vikarabad- 4 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Chow mahalla Palace- 3 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Mecca Masjid- 5 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Markets- 2 Reviews, 3 Photos
See All Hyderabad Things to Do