"Soul kerfuffle" alycat's Profile

Back from my India trip....3 weeks of family, fun and food. I'll have to jog a lot to shed the accumulated pounds!

Be amazed

Excerpts from my fav author Paulo Coelho's 'Like the Flowing River'

A man asked Jamie Cohen: ‘What is the human being’s funniest characteristic?’

Cohen said: ‘Our contradictoriness. We are in such a hurry to grow up, and then we long for our lost childhood. We make ourselves ill earning money, and then spend all our money on getting well again. We think so much about the future that we neglect the present, and thus experience neither the present nor the future. We live as if we were never going to die and die as if we had never lived.’

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

Happy Travels

The photos on my webpages are all taken by me, by my friends or relatives who have accompanied me on my trips. They are meant to be seen and enjoyed by all creatures on this planet, so you can use, abuse, copy or do whatever you want with them, but if you are selling them or making money out of them please remember to give me my share. Happy travels.

Life's a train

Ya isnt life's a train - sometimes your welcome, sometimes you aint, like a new job, you might wanna take the window seat, taking someone else's space, like the best cabin. We meet people, share a laugh, travel together, exchange glances, some wanted, some unwanted, stare that beautiful girl, like being stared at. Some people stay back with you even though they just got down at their station. Some still there bothering you, and all are fighting for thier own space...

In my journey on the VT train, I have met a few Vt'ers. Most of whom have come across as extremely sensitive, highly independent, and motivated individuals who I would love to meet again.

1. Abhuday c..He works for VT in CA. I caught up with him when he was in India.
2. lubna-s...hehee, my sister in CA.
3. onlinerep...My best friend on VT frm UK, very well travelled. I can talk to her bout anything. I last met her in Mumbai.
4. syed-arshad...my partner in crime on most of travel escapades. A cousin who shares the same school as me, it was only quite later in life that I came to know that there is a voracious traveller hidden inside of him!
5. kerryjayne...a whacky traveler frm the UK. I met her when she came down to Hyderabad with her mother. She is a shy and softspoken lady, but beware guys, she packs quite a punch. It has been a privilege knowing her.
6. vpas...again another well travelled and intelligent VT'er frm India. She does some great work for children with learning disabilities.
7. Travelmad578. The investement specialist who has so many free airmiles that she can travel free for another 5 to 6 years. Catch her in these tumultous financial times. I met her in Hyderabad.
8. mikkie50 aka Micheal Murphy, this Englishman has a funny bone and an even interesting travelmap. I met him in Hyderabad.

Who am I?

A person who is very intuitive and wise invariably because I have a very active imagination. I dream a lot, resulting in me getting carried away with my thoughts. I am an overgrown, adolescent, a kid maybe, who just wouldn't grow, though he now has grey hair. At times, I can be a bit too serious n put too much pressure on myself. There is always an ongoing battle in my mind bout the right-wrong, sinner-saint, good-evil, white-black logic, leading me to be always in a limbo between the devil and the deep blue sea.

I'm very intense, quite a handful, and likely to get in trouble. I don't stick with any one thing for very long. I have the drive to accomplish a lot in a short amount of time. My biggest problem is making sure I finish the projects I start and as recently discovered by my wife, a short term memory loss.

A free spirit who resents anyone who tries to fence me in. Thankfully, I got recently married to a wonderful human being with a heart of gold, who is an amazingly adventurous traveler who doesn't like being fenced either.

So please don't consider this write up to be an accurate representation of who I am. If only it were as simple as reading a couple of web pages worth of content. The truth of the matter is, I am very much more than a quarter of a century old and I have yet to know who I am exactly. A dreamer with wishes that would make a child smile wryly. I'm beginning to develop a rough idea as my journey and development continue. Should you be interested in accompanying me on this journey, you'd get the chance to learn a little more about living. I'm almost sure that, were you to join me, you'd learn a little more
about yourself in the process. Go find yourself...

As always, finding a new place evokes curiosity, new culture, new people, strange food. Are these people going to be normal?? Are we going to be able to communicate? Have they got a sense of humour? Will I feel comfortable in their company?' Having known how a tourist feels, I know that the hosts themselves r nervous, and ask themselves the same questions. The learning that comes from interacting with different cultures can be so much greater than the learning that is derived from studying n reading. I have often travelled with own group of young friends and it has been remarkable to see them let loose and jus be themselves with confidence.

Travelling to new cultures and interacting with strangers teaches one as much about oneself as it does about other people. The challenge of new experiences will push one's personal limits back. Coping with situations that have not been previously encountered can show u that u are capable of achieving or succeeding at so much more than u had thought. Learning about different cultures can teach u things about ur own culture - things you had neither appreciated nor understood. Spending time with people from another culture will challenge fixed notions that may be held by both parties. Some of the greatest joys of travel are from knowing that ur preconceptions were wrong.

In this circumstance, being in a different country might well allow u to meet, learn and challenge ur preconceptions with people from a variety of backgrounds. When travelling, do not only look for the differences , do not expect to learn just about others - revel in the learning that u obtain about yourself.

• Intro Updated Mar 22, 2014

• jayjayc's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Better late than never. Happy bday (belated)! Cheers!

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:49 AM

Belated happy birthday wishes to you ali! how are you? what is news? been a long time!!

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Thanks Sita...ys, its been long and there's lots of good news!

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:37 AM

oh do message me all the good news!!

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• CEP1863's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Hope you have a very happy birthday and a year packed with exciting travel!

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Thanks..this year was very good for traveling

• SONG's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Talk about "hitting the nail on the head"......

And Happy Birthday!

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Thanks for reminding me that Kathy..I was going to die trying..trying too hard actually!

• Homanded's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2013 at 5:03 AM

Happy birthday!

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Happy Birthday!

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Belated Happy birthday Ali! I was travelling and missed wishing you. Hope you had a great day and wish you many more,

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:23 AM

Thanks a lot..it was fun. Yes its the holiday season and glad to hear that you are travelling !!

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Hi Ali,How are you? I went on a holiday to Turkey and loved it. Any plans of coming to Hyderabad? How is your work? Where exactly are you now?

• Homanded's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2012 at 4:43 AM

Belated Happy Birthday! Hope you had a very special day.
    Homer

• travelmad478's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Happy birthday!! You are in CA now? How cool!

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Thank you Julie! Hope you are doing good, any trips planned to India?

• travelmad478's Profile Photo
      Dec 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Probably in early March--BOM and maybe DEL, most likely.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
alycat's Profile Photo

alycat

“Mama says always talk to strangers!”

Real Name