"Mariazell" Top 5 Page for this destination Mariazell by phil_uk_net

Mariazell Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 232 photos

Mariazell - where is everyone?

How did I end up here? I met an Austrian business consultant in Thailand who was helping to set up a small company in Mariazell. He was recruiting and one of the positions was quite appropriate for my skillset. I was looking for some work so we agreed mutually that I would make a 2 week visit to explore the job.

Mariazell is a very small, tight-knit community where everyone knows everyone else and there are no secrets. I am used to living in, or near, large cities and found the lack of people a real problem to cope with. Restaurants close at around 8:30pm and the streets are empty. The surrounding area is mountainous and very pretty. I visited in winter when everything was covered with snow. However, long term I think I would get bored out of my head living here.

The countryside around Mariazell is stunningly pretty and the winter snow adds a certain charm.

The Roman Catholic Basilica in Mariazell is famous throughout Austria and beyond as a destination for pilgrims. It was covered up for maintenance unfortunately when I was there.

• Pros:A postcard pretty alpine village
  • Cons:Boring if you are not used to small-town life
  • In a nutshell:Nice to pass through or visit for a day but no longer
  • Last visit to Mariazell: Feb 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 11, 2003

• FOotFetish's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2003 at 2:58 AM

Phil! This looks like a "kampong" place with style.HEE! Great place for retirement maybe?......hmm..put that on my "PLACES FOR RETIREMENT" list

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2003 at 10:08 AM

Fasching sounds fascinating !

• Sep 13, 2003 at 9:49 AM

So... I guess you never took the job... Phil the party animal needs really happening nightlife. Let me call Peter Stringfellow, I will book you a table at Angels..;-)

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2003 at 2:14 AM

I'd love to give the Ice Bowling a try! Mariazell sure looks like a wonderful place to spend a winter! I love the colors of your photos!!

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2003 at 7:12 AM

such wonderful photographs Phil, and was the 'nightlife' tip really that great!! btw I never go anywhere without my elasticated trousers!!!!! :-)

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2003 at 10:25 PM

hmm that's what the Brauhaus did..I remember it as a real nice Pub...wonderful page and infos, tks Phil for sharing

• syllybabe's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2003 at 9:50 PM

This looks like a beautiful alternative to Canvey Island, Phil. Here would be good, too, I think. Much alcohol at Fasching? LOL. Ok...no comment!

• MEdelmann's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2003 at 10:56 AM

Great infos and wonderful pics, Phil! In fact Mariazell is very famous in Austria (especially for pilgrims) but the wonderful basilica is completely restored now ....

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2003 at 2:39 PM

great infos and wonderful pics ! Mariazell is a must, but it is simply too close to my home, to have my own page of it ! ;-))

• cjohnson99's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2003 at 3:36 AM

These pages are absolutely brilliant and designed just for me!

phil_uk_net

“Enjoying life in Thailand ...”

Badges & Stats in Mariazell

Have you been to Mariazell?

Latest Activity in Mariazell