"Phil's Brentwood page" Brentwood by phil_uk_net
Brentwood Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 24 photos
If you've visited this page before you will know that I have been quite scathing in the past about my home town. This is actually quite unfair. It doesn't have any magnificent natural (or even man-made) wonders and there isn't much in the way of culture but as far as residential towns in the UK go, it isn't such a bad place.
In fact, compared to some of the other UK towns I have had to work in, Brentwood comes out very favourably. It is quite an affluent town well located for access into London and the rural areas of Essex.
Originally this area was all forest. I've heard that royalty and the aristocracy used to come out to Brentwood and its environs from London to hunt deer. The Marygreen Manor (formerly the Brentwood Moathouse) hotel and restaurant was originally a hunting lodge.
A clearing in the wood created by fire was known as "Burnt Wood" which became Brentwood. The town's next role was as a staging post for horse drawn carriages travelling out of London to East Anglia. The White Hart pub was originally an old coaching inn.
A barracks housing the Essex Regiment existed in the 19th century and into the early part of the 20th century at Warley but that site is now the UK headquarters for the Ford Motor Company. Ford are a big employer in the town. There is other industry in the town, mainly in the service sector - finance and insurance. Many residents commute daily to London. The rail link goes into London, Liverpool Street and the M25 motorway is close by giving easy access to the motorways.
Although the barracks has long since gone, the chapel remains. It was built in 1857, originally for the East India Company but was then taken over by the Essex Regiment. It is just a few minutes from where I live.
- Pros:Near to London, fairly safe with many country parks
- Cons:Not the most exciting place on earth
- In a nutshell:Near to London but with a distinct country feel
Being a major cultural and tourist centre, Brentwood has its very own Tourist Information Centre. Inside you will find... more travel advice
Restaurants catering for the national dish of Britain - curry - come in various forms. Some are expensive and luxurious,... more travel advice
phil_uk_net's Related Pages
Brentwood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Phil's Brentwood page"
- "My Hometown"
- "My Brentwood"
- "awaiting flowers to be there again"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brentwood
- Hotels in Brentwood
- Transportation in Brentwood
- Nightlife in Brentwood
- Restaurants in Brentwood
- Shopping in Brentwood
- Warnings and Dangers in Brentwood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brentwood
- 17 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Brentwood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brentwood
Photos in BrentwoodSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 176 reviews, 174 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hat Yai Intro, 104 reviews, 135 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 99 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 40 reviews, 73 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Langkawi Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 52 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Khao Lak Intro, 40 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination George Town Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melaka Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos