"A Lifetime in London" London by phil_uk_net

London Travel Guide: 23,674 reviews and 50,413 photos

The statue of Queen Boudicea can be found on the north-east corner of Westminster Bridge. She ruled the Iceni tribe and in 61 A.D. led a revolt against the Romans who occupied Britain at the time.

So much has been written about London that it was difficult to know where to start with this page. There are hundreds of guide books available as well as reams of information on-line, including some very good pages here on VT.
I think all I can do is tell you about some of the places I have experienced in the 40 something years that I have worked and lived in and around London. I hope you enjoy reading my pages but even more, I hope that you actually find them useful when you make that trip to London.

Big and not so big clocks

There seems to be a standing joke on VT that every London page starts with a picture of Big Ben. But did you know that Big Ben has a little brother? Find out where it is on my 'Off The Beaten Path' page.

Restaurants

I am fortunate to have worked at one time for a generous employer in London where dining out after work was a common occurrence. Eating out is also something I very much enjoy in my own time. You will therefore find a number of suggestions in my 'Restaurants' page.
London once had an appalling reputation for food but that is not the case these days. Every type of cuisine imaginable is available, and for all budgets. I have included several budget restaurants in an attempt to dispel the myth that it is not possible to eat cheaply in London. But I have also included some up-market places that you may wish to consider for those special occasions or just to treat yourself.

• Pros:Enough things to do and see to fill a lifetime
  • Cons:Can be expensive
  • In a nutshell:Despite its shortcomings still one of the world's greatest cities
  • Last visit to London: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 31, 2003

• Apr 18, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Thanks for the description and photo of the A. Angelucci coffee shop in London. The next time I get to London, I'll have to stop in to sample the beans. I also sent the photo and text to a good friend named (surprise!) Virginia Angelucci.

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2008 at 3:09 AM

Very interesting tip. Have been to London more than 20 times, but have never seen this. I am going to L gain in two weeks and will consider to see it if my business time permits.

• mtstranscribe's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2007 at 9:17 PM

Love Boudicea. I see you have been to Colchester. Ever been in the castle ? There is a miniature Boudicea display. For a penny she moves around in her chariot called Boudicea's revolting machine! I wonder if anyone else thinks that is as funny as I do?

• Sep 29, 2006 at 12:50 PM

Lovely page! and nice pictures. Nikos

• jumanuel's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2006 at 9:31 PM

Hey! I loved your page - specially that lovely stroll over the Thames, it brings me some good memories. Cheers - JM

• highlandlaura's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2006 at 2:44 PM

Useful tips. Hope to be in London within next 6 months visiting a friend. Will try to make it to some of your restaurants listed here.

• Jul 29, 2006 at 4:02 AM

No way. This is the worst restaurant in London. The staff is horrible and nasty...u wait to place the order but u get ur dish in 10sec ( the time to take it out from the rubbish and put it in the micro). the noodle are older then the queen. go chop chop

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2005 at 3:14 PM

wonderful b&w intro pic, stunning!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2005 at 1:58 PM

Appreciated the glimpse of London you provided--so much to see and so much history! You were a very good guide to the city! THANKS!!

• RuiPT's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2005 at 9:27 AM

Thanks Phil your tips were very useful to prepare my trip. Cheers Rui From Portugal

phil_uk_net

“Enjoying life in Thailand ...”

Badges & Stats in London