"Surat Thani" Surat Thani by phil_uk_net

Surat Thani Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 60 photos

Surat Thani

There isn't a great deal in Surat Thani to attract tourists. My boat from Koh Tao arrived there in the evening and after several hours at sea I didn't feel like jumping straight on a bus so stopped for the night. I wandered around the night market that evening and left the following morning.

After the artificial nature of tourist orientated places Surat Thani is a stark reminder of the real Thailand and a further reminder that it is still a developing country. Cockroaches crawl across the pavement and cats investigate dead rats in the street. However, I found the local people to be very friendly due in part, I think, to the fact that not many tourists stay here. Most travellers just use Surat as a staging post travelling to and from Koh Samui.

There are night markets but even though I consider myself fairly adventurous when it comes to food there were only a few things I could bring myself to eat!

My evening was rounded off by witnessing a serious motorbike accident. The Thai rider may have been dead - I waited as he lay unconscious with blood pouring from his head until the ambulance arrived.

• Pros:OK for a night stop between travelling on boats and buses
  • Cons:Not much there for tourists
  • In a nutshell:Worth taking a look if you have time
  • Last visit to Surat Thani: Dec 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 8, 2003

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2003 at 12:54 AM

I was stuck in Surath for 3 days, it is a nice city to try the food on night markets and to visit some temples nearby. Thanks for your page!

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2003 at 4:09 AM

Those food vendors make the Greatest meals!! Those bus scams are one of the bad spots of Thailand! It is so nice to find a town without hoards of Farangs!! LOL

• andal13's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2003 at 7:50 PM

What wonderful portraits, Phil! The human warmth can be felt.

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2003 at 1:24 AM

Great off-the-beaten path page. Yeah the Thai outside tourist areas are really lovely; you took some fantastic -real life- pics!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2003 at 4:14 AM

Oops! U reminded me of the motorbike accident I once witnessed when I was a child. Yuck! I can still remember it till today! :-(

phil_uk_net

“Enjoying life in Thailand ...”

Badges & Stats in Surat Thani

Have you been to Surat Thani?