"Koh Tao" Ko Tao by phil_uk_net

Ko Tao Travel Guide: 218 reviews and 522 photos

Koh Tao

I had heard a lot about Koh Tao being a good dive location. Upon arriving it looked like an idyllic tropical island. However, I was not impressed after getting there. There are a lot of backpackers and it seemed that the majority of them have a bad attitude. Many of them look identical with the same bandanas, tattoos and piercings. They seem to think they are a 'cooler' than anyone else on the planet and just stare. They have no conversation skills and their evening entertainment consists of watching videos. There is also a large farang population on Koh Tao working in dive shops. Some of these folks were friendly but a lot were arrogant and could only talk about how little weight or how little air they use.
I spent 3 nights there and couldn't wait to leave. One highlight was going for a swim in Rocky Bay which is really nice.

Hat Sai Ri beach.

• Pros:Cheap diving
  • Cons:Overcrowded dive sites, unfriendly, mosquito infested
  • In a nutshell:I didn't like it at all
  • Last visit to Ko Tao: Dec 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 9, 2003

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2004 at 11:45 AM

Sounds like you had a great stay in the area!! That Dengue doesn't sound too fun though!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2003 at 9:45 PM

Gosh sounds like a real disappointment for you. Good advice for divers. I love Tom Yum. Good info on the accomm. An honest opinion on visiting.

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2003 at 1:08 PM

Women work hard everywhere Phil!!!! Seriously though,looks so nice, shame you were glad to leave.

• jide08's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2003 at 2:07 AM

Very enjoyable page. A shame about those tourists.

• May 30, 2003 at 2:40 PM

As you know I have serious issues about backpackers. There is nothing more stupid and cultural insensitive than a pirate-looking backpacker with tribal tatoos, bandana and fisherman pants. Puaj!!

• Canadienne's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2003 at 5:42 AM

Love the underwater world. . .too bad the above ground one wasn't as nice. :-p Good, honest review.

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2003 at 10:19 PM

this is another reason why I should go back to Thailand again

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2003 at 1:16 AM

I feel sorry you don't have such good memories. But your opinion is very helpful and there's some nice pics as well! However, I came for the cheap course only but stayed 2 weeks on the Eastside and I loved it ;-))

• R.Dettmann's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2003 at 12:55 PM

I heard about the diving. I guess I wouldn't wanna want to go there either. Just to many divers ...

• syllybabe's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2003 at 3:53 AM

I always love all your honest impressions. Yaaawwnnnn!!!! hehehe

phil_uk_net

“Enjoying life in Thailand ...”

Badges & Stats in Ko Tao