Pulau Langkawi Things to Do Tips by phil_uk_net Top 5 Page for this destination
Pulau Langkawi Things to Do: 512 reviews and 1,049 photos
My Island-Hopping Companions
Langkawi is just one island of a large group of 104 islands. An island-hopping tour is a nice way of seeing some of the smaller ones. The boats used are fast and skim across the water at a rate of knots. One of the smaller islands has a freshwater lake where you can swim. Another island the operators use has a beach of white sand which is nice for relaxing on and swimming.
Beware of monkeys (see my Warnings or Dangers tip) when on land and sea urchins while swimming.
Island-hopping trip prices vary from RM30 - RM50.
Langkawi Cable Car
Another view. See above tip for details.
Langkawi Cable Car
A cable car runs between two of the highest peaks on Langkawi. It is necessary to first take a cable car up the mountain and then change to another cable car that runs bewteen the two peaks.
In bad weather the service is suspended. The cost is (I think) RM15 for adults and RM10 for children.
Finally, a legend that I actually like.
"In another story, a prince once ate half cooked rice during a wedding feast. He suffered indigestion and farted at two spots now known as Pulau Kentut Besar (Big Fart Island) and Pulau Kentut Kecil (Small Fart Island."
Have you noticed how, in many places where there is an unusual geological feature, there is a stupid story attached to account for it? Normally along the lines of (but not quite): "The island used to be inhabited by giants and one day the biggest giant was having a beer and watching his favourite football team on Sky TV when a bad penanlty decision was given. He was furious with rage and threw his beer bottle down .... which is why there is a big hole in the ground over there." Oh, really?
I have heard so many of these silly stories and legends on my travels it is almost an involuntarily action to start yawning when I hear another. Yes, I know I'm old and cynical. Langkawi, or "The Island of Legends" has more the its fair share of 'legends' and there is a small park about these. Apart from the silly stories it is a very pleasant, well-maintained park and worth walking around - especially as it is free.
Directions: It's in the main town of Kuah, quite near the jetty. Ask a local or taxi driver for the exact location.
Peter, an expat living in Langkawi, organises jungle walks, mangrove kayaking and motorbike tours of the island. He is a friendly guy and very environmentally conscious, not participating in any kind of activity that is detrimental to the local habitat or wildlife.
Other Contact: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: Mobile: 012 456 4750
More Reviews (45)
- See All Beach Garden Resort
- See All Wallowing in the mud
- See All Eagle Feeding
- See All Monkeys, a REAL danger
- See All Local Handicrafts
phil_uk_net's Related Pages
Pulau Langkawi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Langkawi - Historic Mythical Island"
- "LANGKAWI .WHERE THE HEART IS"
- "Pulau Langkawi"
- "Where heaven and earth meets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Langkawi
- Hotels in Pulau Langkawi
- Transportation in Pulau Langkawi
- Nightlife in Pulau Langkawi
- Restaurants in Pulau Langkawi
- Shopping in Pulau Langkawi
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Langkawi
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sissonville Hotels
- Dromore Castle Hotels
- Glendale Hotels
- Odessa Hotels
Badges & Stats in Pulau Langkawi
- 51 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Pulau Langkawi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Langkawi
Photos in Pulau LangkawiSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 176 reviews, 174 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hat Yai Intro, 104 reviews, 135 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 99 reviews, 121 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 40 reviews, 73 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Langkawi Intro, 51 reviews, 52 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 52 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Khao Lak Intro, 40 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 45 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination George Town Intro, 40 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melaka Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
Latest Pulau Langkawi hotel reviews
- Malibest Resort
- 284 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Bella Vista Hotel
- 211 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Shirin Homestay
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 14, 2013
- Green Village Langkawi
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Central Hotel ( Eagle Bay Hotel ) Langkawi
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Citin Hotel Langkawi
- 170 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- Kedawang Beach Inn
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Langkawi Seaview Hotel
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Bahagia
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Mutiara Burau Bay Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
- Beach Garden Resort
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Federal Villa Beach Resort
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Casa Del Mar Hotel
- 1232 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Sri Intan Langkawi
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 8, 2011