"The Deep South. . . of Canada" Amherstburg by yooperprof
Amherstburg Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 216 photos
Amherstburg is about as far south as you can go and still be in Canada. If you're in the Detroit area over in the USA, it makes a nice place for a day trip to a foreign country!
Overlooking the Detroit River, Fort Malden was the scene of conflict in the War of 1812. Now it is a Canadian National Park, with historic re-enactors on the weekends, and helpful guides who are very knowledgeable about the frequent border conflicts which helped define Canadian national identity in the 19th century.
Fortunately, the United States and Canada have long boasted of the longest unfortified frontier in the world, so this cannon is purely symbolic.
It reminds me of French plantation houses I've seen in Louisiana more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Amherstburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amherstburg - our former home town"
- "ENJOYING THE SHORES OF ERIE WINE FESTIVAL"
- "Amherstburg, Ontario"
- "The Deep South. . . of Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amherstburg
- Hotels in Amherstburg
- Restaurants in Amherstburg
- Shopping in Amherstburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Amherstburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amherstburg
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Amherstburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amherstburg
Photos in AmherstburgSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues