"An Arctic Environment in Ontario" Ouimet by yooperprof
Ouimet Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 8 photos
Ouimet Canyon is one of Ontario's newest Provincial Parks, and a must-see for travellers on the Trans-Canada Highways 11/17. (It's actually about five miles off the Trans-Canada, and about 15 miles to the west of the town of Nipigon.) The Park has been thoughtfully developed with several stretches of plank walkway to help prevent erosion.
"The distance from here to the Canyon Floor is about 1000 kilometers!"
[It isn't really; they just mean that the climate and plant life found on the bottom of the canyon is typical of tundraland 600 miles miles north of here.]
"The plant communities of Ouimet Canyon change from boreal forest on the canyon rim to sub-arctic tundra on the canyon floor. You would have to travel over 1000 kilometers north to the shores of Hudson Bay to find some of the plants that lie 100 meters below your feet.
Ouimet Canyon runs north (on your left) to south. The high walls and narrow width of the crevasse shade and cool the lower slopes and bottom. Blankets of tiny mosses, lichens and liverworts thrive in the moist, cooler climate and insulate the canyon floor. Beneath the moss, the ice that formed in the winters past rarely melts."
Want to know more about the Ouimet Canyon, it's geology and biota? Ask at the gift shop. There are several useful guides... more travel advice
Drip by drip, water on rock produces cataclysmic effects. It's dizzying to walk up to the canyon rim and stare straight... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Ouimet Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ouimet
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Ouimet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ouimet
Photos in OuimetSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues