"Brush Up Your Shakespeare - and More!" Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford by yooperprof
Stratford Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 98 photos
In the summer 2012 I was involved with a colleague from the English Department in bringing a group of university students on an innovative study tour of Ontario. AFter several days exploring the cultural and governmental attractions of Ottawa, we moved on to Stratford where (thanks to matinee performances) we were able to see four different plays in two days.
Actually, only of the four shows, "Much Ado About Nothing," was performed in the Festival Theatre, shown above. The Festival stage is in the largest auditorium in Stratford, and features a thrust stage whch brings the actors directly out in front of the audience, in a fascinating and challenging way that is very different from the standard "proscenium" stage. The Festival Theatre was designed with input from Britain's great actor Tyrone Guthrie, and it has served audiences and actor very well for more than fifty years.
In the first half of the 20th century, Stratford was a agricultural market town with a large-scale factory which manufactured railway locomotives. When the town fathers began to perceive that the train era was fading and that big industry was leaving rural Canada, they hit upon the crazy idea of turning their town into an international center of theatre excellence. What a bizarre concept - and a brilliant one. Today, the Stratford Theatre Festival is one of the best places in the world to see the plays of William Shakespeare - not to mention the numerous other playwrights whose works are brought to life by the skilled actors and technicians living out the dream of those civic leaders two generations ago.
Stratford's Tom Patterson Theatre is located in a former indoor Badminton Court, located at the Kiwanis Community Centreon the banks of the Thames. The intimate theatre seats about 500 people, and features a runway thrust stage that brings the action right to the middle of the audience. It's very effective in "tearing down the fourth wall," as we actors like to say.
In summer 2012, I saw three plays here: "Elektra" by Sophocles, Shakespeare's "Cymbeline," and "Wanderlust," a new musical about Canada's bard of the Yukon, Robert Service.
A National Historic Site of Canada, the Stratford City Hall is considered to be an outstanding example of Late Victorian... more travel advice
Summer entertainment is not limited to the theatres. We were able to enjoy karaoke singers who belted tunes while they... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Stratford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Bard is Alive and Well"
- "Stratford Festival"
- "A bit of Merrie Olde England"
- "Brush Up Your Shakespeare - and More!"
- "Theatre Central"
- "Festival Theatre , Stratford , Ontario"
- "Stratford, Ontario, Shakespeare's second home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stratford
- Hotels in Stratford
- Restaurants in Stratford
- Shopping in Stratford
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kansas City Hotels
- Raft Island Hotels
- Iriga City Hotels
- Great Chew Hotels
- French Guiana Hotels
- Soganli Hotels
- Isola Vulcano
- Dalmatia - Dubrovnik Region
- Kingston upon Thames
- South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Badges & Stats in Stratford
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Stratford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stratford
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues