"A Trip To Fort William" Top 5 Page for this destination Thunder Bay by yooperprof
Thunder Bay Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 332 photos
The Largest Trading Post in the GreatNorthwest Frontier!
"Welcome to the Year 1815"! The sign is intended to prepare visitors for what they experience while visiting Fr. William: a carefully re-constructed fur trading post from the early nineteenth century. And travellers will find not only structures, but also "role-playing interpreters" who have donned the garb of frontier traders, voyageurs, and natives - and who have also assumed their personalities!
Ft. William is a good example of what might be termed "immersion" role-playing, wherein the re-enactors are trained not to demonstrate any knowledge which would not have been present at the fort in 1815. The re-enactors are carefully trained: they have diligently studies not only the characters they are portraying, but also the entire time-period they are presenting. I like the way that places like Ft. William blend theater and history.
Pretty boats at the Marina.
Thunder Bay is actually a hard-working and spartan city of about 100,000 people, an important port and trading center linking the prairie provinces with the Great Lakes. While shipping has declined, it's still an important presence here. And winters are fierce. Geography is still a major factor in the life and work of the community here.
"Terry Fox inspired an entire generation of Canadians with his determination and devotion, and it was through his... more travel advice
If you want to go for coffee at somewhere other than a Tim Horton's, I can recommend the Seattle Coffeehouse. There are... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Thunder Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KimberlyAnn's Thunder Bay Page"
- "Home is Where the Heart Is"
- "The forgotten part of Ontario"
- "Welcome to Thunder Bay"
- "A Trip To Fort William"
- "Welcome to Thunder Bay!"
- "Alphons new Thunder Bay /Ontario Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thunder Bay
- Hotels in Thunder Bay
- Transportation in Thunder Bay
- Nightlife in Thunder Bay
- Restaurants in Thunder Bay
- Warnings and Dangers in Thunder Bay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thunder Bay
- 13 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Thunder Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thunder Bay
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues