"Wawa Geese!" Top 5 Page for this destination Wawa by yooperprof

Wawa Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 56 photos

The big goose!

Wawa means "goose" in the local Ojibwe dialect. It kinda makes sense, you gotta admit!

This is the original Wawa goose, now carefully restored to its original avian splendor. It now ornaments the main parking area for Young's General Store, on the main road into town. You can stop for a photo op, and pick up a tee and other souvenirs at the shop.

The third and smallest of the Wawa geese belongs to the Wawa Motor Inn. It dates from 1961.

• Last visit to Wawa: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2005

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Hi Chet, I see you are one of the few people who have actually done a Lake Superior Circle Tour. Lots of people talk about it, few do it. I suppose you started and ended in Marquette. Did you go clockwise or counter-clockwise?

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
      Jan 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I drove west out of Marquette. First night in Duluth, then up the north shore (Bob Dylan territory!) to Thunder Bay. I had two nights in Thunder Bay, then

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
      Jan 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I had one night each in Terrace Bay and Wawa!

• Jun 25, 2007 at 10:40 AM

Your comments really are helping us as we plan a trip up to the greater Wawa area. We hope to find out also what a yooper prof is....must be a cultural thing!

• NYMansour's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2007 at 2:36 PM

hey, I stayed overnight in Wawa, I think I was a few motels down from the giant Wawa. Small town with a snow-mobile trail going all the way to.....!?

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2006 at 3:23 AM

Great tips. Explains some of the mystery behind naming a convenience store Wawa and having a goose as it's icon. Wow. Learn something new every day!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2005 at 6:43 PM

What an honor to be the first to put my name on your Wawa page. We loved this town, and your page too. Congratulations on having the #1 Wawa page on VT!

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Wawa