"Post-industrial Wheeling" Wheeling by yooperprof

Wheeling Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 75 photos

Wheeling is a place that had its heydey 80 years, and has been in decline for a very long time. There are some interesting attractions, like the Dogtrack on Wheeling Island and the "Wheeling Jamboree." There are still families here who live in their beautiful mansions up the pike along the National Road and who are tremendously proud of their heritage. But industry - iron and nails - has left, and thousands of people have left as well. Much of the place feels empty, and there is not a lot for young people to do here except get out. (Thankfully, Pittsburgh is just an hour away.) I lived in Wheeling for a year in the early 1990s. That was enough. I was glad to leave Wheeling for the cultural sophistication and the vibrancy of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

But I did have a great apartment in Wheeling - it was the best thing about being there. It was on the third floor of a tastefully restored townhouse downtown, with great views of the Ohio River from my back porch balcony. Rents in Wheeling are low, and there are lots of beautiful old buildings.

The Grand Ohio River

This was the view from the rear porch and balcony in back of my apartment in Wheeling. I found it endlessly fascinating to watch the barges bringing cargos up and down the River.

• Last visit to Wheeling: Aug 1993
  • Intro Updated Aug 10, 2004

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2005 at 9:58 AM

Hare Krisha in Wheeling--unbelievable!! My husband and I drove through Wheeling and we were told to visit the restored area you mentioned--we liked it! Your photos gave a nice idea of the temple compound.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2005 at 7:34 PM

I grew up an hour from Wheeling and had no idea that they had a large Indian temple complex. You learn something new every day!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2005 at 4:25 AM

I knew they had a country music place in Wheeling, but not a holy man. Very interesting.

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Wheeling

Have you been to Wheeling?

Latest Activity in Wheeling