"Post-industrial Wheeling" Wheeling by yooperprof
Wheeling Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 75 photos
Wheeling is a place that had its heydey 80 years, and has been in decline for a very long time. There are some interesting attractions, like the Dogtrack on Wheeling Island and the "Wheeling Jamboree." There are still families here who live in their beautiful mansions up the pike along the National Road and who are tremendously proud of their heritage. But industry - iron and nails - has left, and thousands of people have left as well. Much of the place feels empty, and there is not a lot for young people to do here except get out. (Thankfully, Pittsburgh is just an hour away.) I lived in Wheeling for a year in the early 1990s. That was enough. I was glad to leave Wheeling for the cultural sophistication and the vibrancy of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
But I did have a great apartment in Wheeling - it was the best thing about being there. It was on the third floor of a tastefully restored townhouse downtown, with great views of the Ohio River from my back porch balcony. Rents in Wheeling are low, and there are lots of beautiful old buildings.
This was the view from the rear porch and balcony in back of my apartment in Wheeling. I found it endlessly fascinating to watch the barges bringing cargos up and down the River.
From the official "Palace of Gold" brochure: "Overlooking Hills and Valleys, Prabhupada's Palace of Gold is reminiscent... more travel advice
Would you believe that there is a major Hare Krishna temple just outside Wheeling WV? The "New Vrindaban Community" has... more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
Wheeling Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wheeling, West Virginia"
- "Post-industrial Wheeling"
- "A Great Place to Live"
- "The National Road"
- "Welcome to Wheeling"
- "oneonta_ni's new Wheeling Page"
- "W h e e l i n g"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wheeling
- 5 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Wheeling?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wheeling
Photos in WheelingSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues