"On Chequamegon Bay" Washburn by yooperprof
Washburn Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 8 photos
A Pretty place.
This is the Bayfield County seat. Bayfield has a year-round population of 14,000, though I'm sure it's higher in the summer.
At one time Du Pont had a major munitions factory in Washburn, and 10,000 people lived in the town. The town now has about 2300 residents, but I wouldn't be surprised if the population starts to grow again - this is a beautiful place.
The present Bayfield County was created in 1866. In 1892 the county seat was moved from Bayfield to Washburn. This Courthouse was erected in 1894-95; of locally quarried sandstone at a cost of $31,737.00, by the architectural firm of Orff and Joralemon, Mpls.
yooperprof's Related Pages
Washburn Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Washburn
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Washburn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washburn
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues