"Little Switzerland (Without the Mountains)" New Glarus by yooperprof
New Glarus Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 92 photos
New Glarus bills itself as Little Switzerland. In spite of a deficiency in Alps, the name is apt, in recognition of the numerous Swiss immigrants who settled in the community and the surrounding countryside, bringing with them their cheese-making techniques which have found a natural home amidst Wisconsin's fabled dairylands.
In the last few years, New Glarus has thrived as it has become a popular destination for day-trippers from nearby Madison, only about 25 miles away. Its farm community has also prospered as it has increasingly focused upon the production of "natural" and high-quality cheeses which are very popular among the bourgeoisie Cheeseheads of their state.
- In a nutshell:A Small Town that plays up its Swiss Roots
My friend Al reacts violently when I tell him that the "Swiss Miss" is just a myth. (Try saying that fast three times.) more travel advice
yooperprof's Related Pages
New Glarus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Something (delightfully) Sour in New Glarus"
- "Americas little Switzerland"
- "Charming Swiss Immigrant Village"
- "Little Switzerland (Without the Mountains)"
- "Small town of Swis innigrants"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Glarus
- Hotels in New Glarus
- Transportation in New Glarus
- Restaurants in New Glarus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Glarus
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to New Glarus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Glarus
Photos in New GlarusSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues