"Milwaukee: Beers, Brats, and Architecture" Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee by yooperprof
Milwaukee Travel Guide: 532 reviews and 827 photos
Milwaukee has joined the throng of cities worldwide which have built or are building new cathedrals of art. This is actually an addition to an existing structure, an extremely modest and undistinguished facility that completely fails to do justice to its site. By contrast, the new MAM addition is a breathtaking piece of architectural sculpture, dramatically exploiting its lakeside location in a way which Frank Lloyd Wright (who himself worked in and around Milwaukee) would have certainly appreciated.
Hidden away on the campus of Marquette University is this simple and beautiful medieval French chapel.
It's not very well known that after saving France from the hated English, Joan of Arc emigrated to Milwaukee and found employment at the Blatz Brewery. She would come to this chapel for prayer, enjoining God to raise her bowling average, and to give the Brewers a fair shot at the play-offs.
For a full account of how this 15th century stone chapel from "la France profonde" ended up here, check it out among my "must-sees" for Milwaukee.
Almost looks like a mausoleum!
This is one of the grandest County Courthouses in the United States - a product of the Depression Years, when governmental units tried to assert their legitimacy by re-inforcing their legacy from the Greco-Roman past.
- Pros:Milwaukee is really coming into its own as a great destination
- Cons:Will they ever finish working on the highways around Milwaukee? Probably not!
- In a nutshell:(Actually, there's more to eat and drink than Brats and Beer)
The Aloft has a distinctively contemporary vibe that strikes you immediately upon entering the lobby, where the sounds... more travel advice
Alterra's newest location is in an old industrial building in the Fifth Ward - which is actually just south of the Third... more travel advice
- See All Renaissance Books: A Mitchell Airport...
- See All John Plankinton Sculpture in the...
- See All It's helpful to have a downtown mall
- See All Riverwalk Bastion
yooperprof's Related Pages
Milwaukee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Milwaukee: Beers, Brats, and Architecture"
- "Milwaukee-more than beer"
- "Former Beer Capital, May Be Again"
- "My trip to Milwaukee , Wiscousin"
- "Not Your Father's Milwaukee"
- "Milwaukee - Surprisingly Interesting !"
- "A FUN DAY IN MILWAUKEE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Milwaukee
- Hotels in Milwaukee
- Transportation in Milwaukee
- Nightlife in Milwaukee
- Restaurants in Milwaukee
- Shopping in Milwaukee
- Warnings and Dangers in Milwaukee
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Milwaukee
- 102 Reviews
- 168 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Milwaukee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Milwaukee
- Posted in Travel Mackinac Island Forum "Re: Is it worth going to Mackinac..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Localvore haven in Walker's Point"
- Wrote a Review Boutique Hotel with Youthful Zest in Milwaukee Hotels
- updated a Milwaukee Travel Page "Milwaukee: Beers, Brats, and Architecture"
- Commented on one of Dabs's Milwaukee travel pages
Photos in MilwaukeeSee All Photos (168)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 206 reviews, 394 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues