"Milwaukee: Beers, Brats, and Architecture" Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee by yooperprof

Milwaukee Travel Guide: 532 reviews and 827 photos

A Spainard Builds a Masterpiece in Wisconsin

Milwaukee has joined the throng of cities worldwide which have built or are building new cathedrals of art. This is actually an addition to an existing structure, an extremely modest and undistinguished facility that completely fails to do justice to its site. By contrast, the new MAM addition is a breathtaking piece of architectural sculpture, dramatically exploiting its lakeside location in a way which Frank Lloyd Wright (who himself worked in and around Milwaukee) would have certainly appreciated.

Joan of Milwaukee's Chapel

Hidden away on the campus of Marquette University is this simple and beautiful medieval French chapel.

It's not very well known that after saving France from the hated English, Joan of Arc emigrated to Milwaukee and found employment at the Blatz Brewery. She would come to this chapel for prayer, enjoining God to raise her bowling average, and to give the Brewers a fair shot at the play-offs.

For a full account of how this 15th century stone chapel from "la France profonde" ended up here, check it out among my "must-sees" for Milwaukee.

Milwaukee County Courthouse

Almost looks like a mausoleum!

This is one of the grandest County Courthouses in the United States - a product of the Depression Years, when governmental units tried to assert their legitimacy by re-inforcing their legacy from the Greco-Roman past.

• Pros:Milwaukee is really coming into its own as a great destination
  • Cons:Will they ever finish working on the highways around Milwaukee? Probably not!
  • In a nutshell:(Actually, there's more to eat and drink than Brats and Beer)
  • Last visit to Milwaukee: May 2012
  • Intro Updated Oct 30, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Hi Chet, I like your informative and enthusiastic tips on Milwaukee architecture. I've never been to Milwaukee (Madison and points north, yes) but when I was a child we could hear Milwaukee radio stations on the AM dial so it seemed like a familiar place.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2009 at 11:44 AM

You surely found the places to visit here. It is a great city once you find the benchmarks. My last trip to the Utah/Arizona parks was a great adventure. Take a look. I think you will enjoy

• marcbrazil's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Very informative pages about one destination that I am very curious to see, I loved all the tips!;)

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2007 at 5:31 PM

I didn't know TRoosevelt was shot in Milw, and I grew up there! I walked all the way to Von Triers for lunch thursday, in 90+ temps, and it was closed!

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2006 at 1:11 PM

I'll have to come back and check out your Wisconsin stuff. I lived in Fond du Lac County for 9 years. God I miss the tornados.

• shikokuzen's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2006 at 6:26 PM

i'm visiting milwaukee this sept.....i will go see this church....wow!!!!

• sarahjayn's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2005 at 9:08 PM

very neat page - - i like your pictures.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2005 at 8:46 PM

I thought of you as I was watching Rachel Ray on the Food Network eating her way through Milwaukee, stopping at Three Brothers :-) I should stop there next time, it looked delicious!

• blaird's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2004 at 2:54 PM

great story about the chapel, and your intro on it on your front page is quite amusing...if only the Brewers really had a legitimate shot at the playoffs.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2004 at 7:02 PM

Oh I love the FLW! And what a surprise to find Joan of Arc in Milwaukee.

yooperprof Visits Here Frequently!

yooperprof

“from da u.p. to da world”

Badges & Stats in Milwaukee

Have you been to Milwaukee?