"Home of the Great Spirit" Manitowoc by yooperprof
Manitowoc Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 23 photos
"Manitowoc" is an Ojiba word that means "home of the great spirit."
The town (and county) of Manitowoc is a Lake Michigan-oriented place, about 70 miles north of Milwaukee and 50 miles southeast of Green Bay. Ship-building was big here; there's an interesting maritime museum here; and the S.S. Badger, one of the last Lake Michigan auto ferries departed from here on its way to Ludington MI.
The Manitowoc County Courthouse, in the neo-classical style, was opened in 1906. It's the work of German-born architect Christ H. Tegel.
(no, that's not a mis-typing)
yooperprof's Related Pages
Manitowoc Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Manitowoc, What's That Smell?"
- "Sailing..Sailing...Over the Ocean (umm Lake) Blue!"
- "hrvanover's new Manitowoc Page"
- "Home of the Great Spirit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manitowoc
- Transportation in Manitowoc
- Nightlife in Manitowoc
- Restaurants in Manitowoc
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manitowoc
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (114)
Have you been to Manitowoc?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manitowoc
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 205 reviews, 391 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 82 reviews, 229 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 112 reviews, 173 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee Intro, 102 reviews, 168 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 86 reviews, 176 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marquette Intro, 80 reviews, 151 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ottawa Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 1 travelogue
- Montreal Intro, 70 reviews, 137 photos
- Kansas City Intro, 72 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues